DjangoBooks.com

Chang, Nolan, Homespun, Michael, or what?

GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
edited July 2009 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 68
I'm new to the gypsy guitar, and have found that there are many different learning packages. My gut (size largish) tells me to pick one and stick with it. But which? :roll:

I'd appreciate any suggestions, advice, etc.

Thanks!

Greg

Comments

• emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    Let's start with Gypsy Picking, then Gypsy Rhythm.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    They all have their merits & their drawbacks, which differ from person to person. It all depends on how you like to learn & what guitar-based background you have. IMHO
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Greg- I am not sure where you live, but if you live in a place where you can't get lessons from someone, I would recomend using Michaels books and Dennis' DVDs together. In my oppinion those are the most solid ways to get going.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    Thanks!

Emicad - why the Picking book rather than the Rhythm?

Gregt
  • KBKB Toronto, CanadaNew
    IMHO...ur best bet is to get the gypsy rhythm book, picking book and stephane wrembel's intro gypsy jazz. learn the common chord shapes so that you can atleast start jamming at sessions and work on your rhythm playing.

Gypsy picking and Stephane's book will give you an idea of how to pick properly and a no-nonsense idea of how to approach improv (visual and aural aspect - shapes on fretboard).

After this....just listen to a lot of django records and internalize the gypsy jazz sounds and transcribe as much as you can. you'll reach a point where, coz you've heard so many django records, whenever you hear any chord progression, in your head you'll be hearing phrases that are very django-esque. The next and most difficult part is playing the phrases you hear in your head which comes from tons of repetition, mistakes and practice.

Practice picking patterns of your choice slowly and accurately and you'll gradually build your chops. If you're dedicated enough...in 2-3 yrs time you should be a decent player.

Do not expect any quick results....you will definitely suck for the first year...

Best of luck!!!

P.S. know when to stop practicing/playing when your neck, arm, wrist or other parts of the body ache....it implies you're putting way too much effort and your technique might be wrong. Experiement w/ different body, hand positions until there is no pain. Different ppl are constructed differently so what works for one person may not necessarily work for another person.