DjangoBooks.com

Rest stroke (sound)

Django P.Django P. New
edited July 2009 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 4
When I play a down-stroke and my plectrum rest on the next adjacent string. This "next adjacent" string produces also a sound (A light "tick" or short high pitched sound) caused by the plectrum hitting the string. Is there a way to avoid this?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The string noise is pretty normal although it can be reduced by using a lighter touch or different picks. Just takes some experimentation.
  • HotBootsHotBoots East Bay, CANew
    I know what your talking about. I started using rest strokes\gypsy technique at the same time that I bought 3.5mm wegen picks. I also bought 2.5mm twins, which didn't cause the sounds to occur. My thumb also naturally fit better, so I am able to player better overall whilst not worrying about that annoying click. I don't know if you are using 3.5mm wegens, but when I did, you are describing the same issue.
  • Django P.Django P. New
    Thanks for the advice! I will use the Twin pick.
  • HotBootsHotBoots East Bay, CANew
    it's not so much the twin, it is the 2.5mm thickness compared to the 3.5mm thickness that made the difference for me. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't make that clear!
  • Django P.Django P. New
    That's a good one! I didn't know you had Twin picks in different sizes.
    I also looked in the store now and saw them.