DjangoBooks.com

John Pearse Strings - do they mellow?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
I put on an extra set of strings last night, my latest set of argies having died. I had some John Pearse light gypsy strings, bought them a while back as backup, to see what differences I could find.

Gotta say - at this juncture, not a fan. They are 0.10's, but they feel really "fat" compared to the argies, much like heavier gauge steel on a flattop, to me. Don't have the descriptor vocab down, but to me the sound is really steely, "bright" but with a decided reverb quality absent from the argies. After accomplishing some feel for my guitar (a DG-300), getting what I would call some better dryness after working with it, and with argies for a couple of months now, these JP's just don't work, for my taste.

Anyone else with this experience? If so, are they expected to calm down, after some measure of time?

Secondly - I think I saw BluesBopHarry recommend this - anyone use the idea of keeping the bass strings (EAD) on the argies, and only replacing GBE? What Harry said made sense, to me - keeping the bass strings to "age" mellows the natural bass thump of the Gitanes generally, while replacing the treble strings help to balance the bass response seemingly endemic to the Gitane.
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi there, I quite like the sound of John Pearse but you're right they do feel "fat" and i showed them to someone who has had strings made in a commercial sense to sell and he reckoned they had different core sizes as the G string was significantly stiffer than the rest.

I do think JPs keep what sound they have for longe but then all die at once.
    I would avoid them unless absolutely necessary

Alan
    always learning
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The JPs are hex core....much stiffer feel. In fact, pretty much every manufacturer uses a hex core except for Savarez which uses the less stable, but lower tension and more supple round core.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, very helpful.

Any thoughts on "aging" the bass strings and changing out GBE as needed?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.