DjangoBooks.com

Gerome arched manouches

Does anyone have experience with the Gerome arched manouche guitars? I've seen a couple of them. A D-shape and an oval hole. Though some flat Geromes have an odd bulged back, these two I talk about have a bulged top too, more or less like an archtop but I guess the top is shaped in this strange shape by pressure instead of carving.

Any idea about how are they built and braced, or how they sound?

There are pics of one of these guitars in this same website.

http://www.gypsyguitars.com/makers.php?id=9&status_id=3

Comments

• SnapcaseSnapcase New
    It seems that some Moneret guitars are built in this style too, but with a less prominent arching. Any data on this?

I have one of these, but know little about it. Mine is older--I think from at least the '50's.

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

If you ever happen to be in Ghent, there's a violin maker there,

Luc Deneys, who worked with the Geromes at Miracourt for some years.

He also has an atelier in Cremona.

• scotscot Virtuoso

Monneret was still making this kind of guitar about 10 years ago. He studied/apprenticed with the Gerome brothers. Like the Geromes, he makes all sorts of instruments.

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

I own this one.

Ladder bracing. Big neck.

Looks good, sound as good. But I don't feel that the arched top makes them sounds any better. Feels good tough.

billyshakes