DjangoBooks.com

New Jean Corti CD

CuimeanCuimean Los AngelesProdigy
edited August 2009 in Accordion Posts: 271
Jean Corti's new CD, Fiorina, is out on the Mon Slip label. It's excellent. Corti sounds great on accordion, and he's accompanied by Hervé Legeay on guitar and Jean Pierre Crémonini on bass. The tunes are mostly from the post-war chanson repertoire (including many that Corti played on the first time around. Brel is heavily represented, as well as Barbara, Ferre, Brassens, and Trenet. Guest singers are mostly from the recent wave of chansonniers: Jeanne Cherhal, Olivia Ruiz, Christian Olivier (from Têtes Raides), Thomas Fersen, and so on. Corti shines on all the tunes, and even gets to stretch out a bit on a few instrumental tracks. It's not a pure musette album like Couka, but it's a bit more solid than Versatile, which I think suffered a bit from some middling tune choices. I got my copy from Amazon; it was a little pricey but definitely worth it.

Comments

• brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    Great review Rod! I was wondering how the album is, and if it was anything like Versatile. I was a little turned off when I previously heard Zaza Fournier featured on a song. She's quite the dilettante on the accordion and gave an embarrassingly amateurish (and drunken) performance when I saw her in France. But your comments and the other featured singers make the album sound compelling. I'll keep an eye out for it!