DjangoBooks.com

Miretchave lyrics?...

zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
edited November 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 94
Hi, folks!

Is there are anybody who knows Manouche (or Sinti) gypsy language??? :shock:

I wanna get the words of Miretchave (Note Manouche- "Gypsy Swing From Alsace", track 5) to sing......... :wink:

And to continue the language topick - Michael, by the way, what language did you speak with Fapy when studied?.. :wink:

Thanks and good luck!!!

Anton

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Fapy speaks English....

Most Gypsies don't like it when Gadjos learn Romanesh.....

'm
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    don't have that cd

but mire tchave means my boys

wow i didn't know about the gadjos / romanesh thing.... the gaguenetties were always teaching me a bunch of words and the dutch sinti liked it that i knew some of it
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    I'm guessing "mire tchave" means "my pal." "Mire pral" I think means "my brother."

It's an interesting language, with, as you might expect, a bazillion loan-words the Rom have picked up over the centuries.

I've read that "lollipop" is a word that English has borrowed, in turn, from the Rom.

I don't have an OED handy. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers,
    Ando
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    That's great, Dennis. I'm glad to hear the Gaguenetti's and others were more open about their language/dialect. Reluctance can often come from distrust, but there's no way to *earn* trust if you're prevented from demonstrating good faith. Sounds like you earned it, and that's wonderful.
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    >Most Gypsies don't like it when Gadjos learn Romanesh

Michael, then do most Gypsies like when Gadjos SELL "GYPSY Picking" books?... :wink::wink::wink:

Well, I can't not to sing the song, as well as I sing some songs of Russian gypsies (I even have a Russian-Romane 2000 :D words dictionary published in 1937 ).

And some more about languages - when I started studing flamenco style, I began learning Spanish. I could not say that I do a quick progress in flamenco, but at least now I could talk half an our with my spanish friends and colleagues... :D

In June I was at Jazz a Vienne festival (concert of Richard Galliano and then Bireli in electric), and I was sitting near 2 french girls - after I started talk french --- they said, hmm.... OK, you, russian speak French.... so we HAVE to remember our school English and try to speak IT!!!! IMO it's a common reaction, at least in France (well... if person does know English :wink: )...

Anton
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    half an HOUR.....

P.S.: please.... forgive me all my past ans possible further mistakes!!!!!!!
    :D

Have fun!
    Anton
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Cool Topic!
    A friend of mine who is a member the german Weiss-Family promised me to transcribe a whole bunch of romanes-songs and then to translate them into german. I gave him two CDs packed full with over 40 songs. Among them is Mire Tchawe. I hope to get the translations some day and then I ´ll let you know.

When Häns´che Weiss published his record "5 Jahre Musik deutscher Zigeuner" in 1977 he added a german translation of his song "Lass maro tschatschepen" on the inner LP-cover. He got a lot of trouble from his Sinti people because they didn´t like that Gadjos get a chance to learn romanes language. I always thought that this was a typical problem of the german sintis, because of the persecution of sintis during the nazi period. The main pursuer, Eva Justin from the "Amt für Rasseforschung" spoke romanes fluently and was called "Lolitschei" by the Gypsies. The Sintis used to trust anybody who spoke their language and so "Lolitschei" learned a lot about the Sinti in germany and was able to find a lot of them and to carry them to Auschwitz.

But I think that nowadays a lot of people have no problem when gadjos learn a little bit about their language. At the Gypsy Music Festival in Hildesheim we discussed much about this topic. In germany there is a discussion if sinti children should get a chance to learn romanes at school. In Hildesheim, where Gypsies live since the 15th century, a lot of Sinti children speak fluently romanes. In other regions of germany there are a lot of Sintis who do not speak romanes any more or they use a lot of words from german, for example say "ab i raisa" instead of "ap u tem" and so on.

I am Gadjo. If its late in the evening and if I have enough beer and sing a tune in romanes, the Sinti always are amused and astonished, but not angry. But I know this topic is very, very sensitive.

Best

Barengero
  • Bill McNeillBill McNeill Seattle, Washington, USANew
    Ando wrote:
    I'm guessing "mire tchave" means "my pal." "Mire pral" I think means "my brother."

It's an interesting language, with, as you might expect, a bazillion loan-words the Rom have picked up over the centuries.

I've read that "lollipop" is a word that English has borrowed, in turn, from the Rom.

I don't have an OED handy. Can anyone confirm?

Cheers,
    Ando

A bit off-topic but, since I have the O.E.D. on my computer...

The O.E.D. lists the etymology of "lollipop" as being "of obscure formation". It does however attribute "pal" and possibly "nark" as being of Romany origin.
  • petepete New
    Dennis is right. In English Rom it is Chavie - which means boy/child.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    mire tchave... is the plural form: my boys... miro tchavo - my boy... maro tchavo - our boy..., then you can add adjectives... miro latcho raillo tchavo , my good beautiful boy... miri latchi railli tchai - my good beautiful girl... etc...

mire pral is my brothers (can refer to biological brother or pal).... miro pral is my brother.... miro can often be shortened to mo... (mo pral, mo latcho baro deivel - my good god)

the sinti language borrows a lot from german/yiddish... tata = papa , danke schoen - thank you, gud nacht - good night....

dik ga men spetar - see you later....

ra mo schleim..... perhaps this one is best left untranslated...