Hi there! I've gotten interested in GJ guitar over the past six months, mainly from seeing John Jorgenson and Robin Nolan in concert. I've bought a few instructional books/dvds and am really having fun with the music. I also bought a Dell Arte Pigalle that I'm enjoying quite a bit. I have a bunch of questions, but they are pretty diverse, so I wasn't sure which forum to post them in.
1. What is the best source to learn a lot of the GJ repertoire? Is there a fake book of GJ tunes?
2. I bought a set of the Argentine Savarez strings and had a bad A string. The shop gave me a replacement string, but that one was bad as well! We ended up putting a GHS string on the guitar, which worked fine. Is this common with Argentine strings? There seem to be several brands: Dell Arte, Savarez, John Pearse, GHS, etc. Do they all make their own strings, or are some just branded versions of the others? Who has the best quality control?
3. I'd love to play with other people. Do GJ guitarists have jam sessions? Are there any in Los Angeles? (the closer to Santa Monica, the better)
4. What are some of the best instructional books to get? I'm a fairly advanced guitarist, so I'm looking for more than the basics. I've got the Jorgenson books/DVDs, a book of Django solos, as well as a DVD on GJ rhythm techniques, but I'm looking for more.
5. I do a lot of recording of acoustic guitars and was wondering if there was a "standard" way to record a GJ guitar. I usually put a microphone at the neck/body joint, somewhere between 6 inches and a foot away. What do you guys do?