DjangoBooks.com

Schatten Black box with a Bigtone, will it work?

BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
Has anybody tried it? I'd be cool to have a volume control... any caveat?
Thanks

Comments

• Dr. HallDr. Hall Green Bay, WisconsinNew
    That's similar to the Pickup the World jobbie that archtop.com sells isn't it? Plugs into the jack, about the size of a 9-volt battery, runs on a battery? has a small volume knob? I haven't seen/used the Schatten, but there's another option too that I have used and really like. It's a cable that has a volume slider built into the jack itself, made by Guyatone. High quality stuff too. Hasn't broken on me after a couple years of gigging. Here's the link:
    http://guyatone.com/Speedcable.php
    Once I got the Trinity K&K installed in my main guitar (with the little external preamp that has volume knobs for both the piezo and the internal mic) I haven't used the speed cable much except when playing my old guitar with just the Pure Macaferri. But the speed cable works nicely for a single channel piezo signal like that apart from having to reach to the end pin to get at the volume control which can be a bugger on fast tunes.
    -Stefan
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks Dr,
    That cable looks cool, but I guess that when the cable goes so does your volume control, still I'll look into it, Do you know how much it is?

The Black box is passive (no battery): Michael sells them for 50 bucks.
    https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... bb-01.html

I use a Bigtone and the folks at Schatten warn:
    "the Black Box will work with just about any modern pickup system on the market. That being said, some of the older under saddle pickup designs (specifically those that are made up of six small individual crystals in a strip and not fitted with a preamp) do not have sufficient output to be used with any passive volume control and are not recommended for use with the Black Box"

So I'm worried it might not work...