DjangoBooks.com

Neck joining body the spanish way

criminelcriminel buenos aires✭✭✭
Hi there,
An argentinian luthier makes these Selmer copies with the neck joining the body as in a classical guitar.
Anybody has any insight as what are the advantages and disadvantages of this?

Check the guy's website (I'm waiting for his answer about prices):
http://www.diegohuerga.com.ar/index_english.htm

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Spanish heels are fine if they're done properly. They're very solid because the sides are tucked into the side of the neck instead of the neck having a tenon at the end which is received into a mortise in the neck block so there really is no "neck joint" per-se. The reason they call it a Spanish heel or Spanish boot is that it has a piece of wood coming out & gluing to the bottom of the guitar - looks like the toe of a boot - which stabilizes the neck angle. So: the advantage is that it's strong, and the disadvantage is that you can't remove the neck... well, you can saw it off and do something creative like a double mortise to re-attach it, but suffice it to say that it's not designed to ever be removed because to do so you'e have to disassemble the body... not an attractive option. I have seen a Spanish heel on a wartime Selmer; a fine instrument - likely made from the body of a Mac Classical but turned into a Modele Jazz. People had to be efficient with materials in wartime; particularly in France and other occupied areas. People have ascribed sonic differences to the two joints, but I've not heard one. In fact, my favorite historical classical builder (Ignacio Fleta) used tenon neck joints much to the horror of some, but really - his guitars were so full and powerful that few try to fault his technique even though it was somewhat unorthodox. Few could built cannons like Fleta.

So - structurally - if he does a good job - it's a fine joint. If the guitar ever needs a neck re-set, then it will be a hell of a job or some other creative solution will be required. Given that Selmer style guitars use lighter strings; if the guitar is well made... probably not an issue in your lifetime.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Fleta used dovetail neck joints

this owing to his violin making background.

There are very few copiests of Fletas work.
  • criminelcriminel buenos aires✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot for the detailed replies.
    By the way, the guy's gypsy guitars go from 2500 u$s and up.