DjangoBooks.com

Gitane Finish

McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
Does anyone know what type of finish Gitane uses on their guitars?

Thanks!

Comments

• gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    It's a polyester finish. Easy to spray on thick and very forgiving on the buffing wheel. Looks great too! Unfortunately when too thick it's not good for the sound but most Gitanes are already pretty loud. Factories like the polyester, among other reasons, because it's real durable and as I said, easy to buff out.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
    Thanks--I had contacted Saga, but I didn't hear back.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Actually, Gitanes have 2 different finishes. One is a standard french polish and the other is some kind of varnish.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    French polish? :shock:
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    There's no French polish Gitanes; at least none that were ever done by the factory in China.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    French Polish is a very time consuming process and would never be used on a budget guitar. Furthermore, the finish of a French polished guitar is very fragile, making it a poor choice for a Gypsy guitar.

Gitanes use Urethane paint. Better Gypsy guitars like Favino's and Duponts most likely use Nitrocellulose.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • bjewellbjewell New
    Uh, think that was a joke. Wonder what is on my new MLD?
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    He may be thinking of the satin finish used on the Ciganos. Definitely not French polish, but still pretty light.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Regardless of what it is, there are 2 distinct types of finishes on Gitanes. I've seen a lot of Gitanes through the years. I've been around since the first Gitane was printed. One of them is a solid clear coat (I assume varnish) and the other is a breathable very light finish...

So, to imply there is only 1 finish is incorrect.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Absolutely correct, the latter is the satin finish.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles