DjangoBooks.com

New to the Gypsy world!!

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum and to gypsy jazz. I saw John Jorgensen play this summer at a Tommy Emmanuel concert and was deeply fascinated by the style. I have been playing guitar for the last 10 years ( I'm 21), and i have been playing finger style for the last few on acoustic. I have also studied lap steel, a little jazz electric ( i use a tele), classical, and ukulele. I am trying to become a more versatile musician ( i sing too), so i want to study gypsy jazz. I have been looking at different guitars online, and while i am very familiar with regular acoustics ( i know all about woods and construction), i am not sure about the gypsy jazz guitars. I like the idea of a D hole because if my understanding is correct they have a deeper sound (which i love). My price range is preferably around $300 USD. On ebay I found a D hole with solid cedar top laminated rosewood back and sides by a brand called Enorez. I dont know much about the brand except that it is made in china. Normally I would be very skeptical, but I actually got a lap steel guitar (all solid mahogany) by the Enorez brand, and the construction and sound is amazing and very professional. However I will not assume anything. I know that Cigano has some for 400 (solid top) as well as Cordoba Gitano for 400 as well. I just wanted to know what you guys think. I am very tempted to trust the Enorez considering my previous purchase and save 100 dollars. Also I hear that for this style it is good to use a heavier pick. How thick and what brand? and finally strings I found that ddadario has some. Any recommendations on brand or guage? Please if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Thank you!

Here is a link to the Enorez
http://cgi.ebay.com/Enorez-MFG-D-Gypsy-Django-Jazz-Acoustic-Guitar-w-Case_W0QQitemZ170356017289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item27aa028889&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_12655wt_869

Comments

• WColsherWColsher PhiladelphiaNew
    Welcome! Others with more experience will no doubt jump in, but...

Cigano vs. Brand X - if you search the fora, you'll find this has been discussed many times before - the consensus is that the Cigano is the best bang for the buck. Our noble host has them at a nice discount that brings them into your price range:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... GJ-15.html

Picks - you want to get a couple Wegen Gypsy Jazz picks. Order direct or again, from DjangoBooks:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... picks.html

Strings: Argentines. again, at DjangoBooks:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ca ... rings.html

Now, for the part that is just my inexperienced opinion... You mentioned John Jorgenson. He's a GREAT musician and as such he has a very strong personal style. I personally enjoyed his instructional DVD a lot, but also found that it had led me astray a bit when I went to Django in June. For rhythm playing you cannot beat Denis Chang's JAZZ MANOUCHE: THE ART OF ACCOMPANIMENT:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... iment.html

and for lead work Gypsy Picking:

https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/it ... cking.html

At some point fairly early on, you'll also want to get a lesson or two from an experienced player just to make sure you're on the right track. The style is a bit unusual, and nothing beats some hads-on instruction. You can also post videos of yourself here for comments and Michael, Denis and several of the other experienced players and teachers will jump right on 'em.

This website is pretty much the one stop shopping experience for everthing Gypsy Jazz so again, welcome!

-bill
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Haven't tried the Enorez but the Cigano is great for the $$,.
    This comes up so often that Michael might as well offer some sort of starter pack with a Cigano, wegen, argies, Denis rhythm dvd and gypsy picking.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    The starter pack is a great idea, Enrique. 8) :lol:
    I like the Cigano but even on this site with shipping its still 400 and then there is no case and then i have to get picks and strings :roll:. But for i feel a bit inclined to get the Enorez because like i said i own a lap steel guitar by them and it is amazing. hufff i just wish i could try it lol
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    The cigano is actually a gypsy guitar, not something that looks like one.
  • TexasrockabillyrebelTexasrockabillyrebel Denton, Tx✭✭✭
    Most people here will probably disagree with me, but oh well.

Any acoustic guitar will do when you're learning, in fact the harder it is to play, and the worse it sounds the better. This will help you become a better player regardless of what style you're playing. But if you want a proper sounding gypsy guitar for that amount of money GET A CIGANO. Everything else in that price range is trash.

As for picks these expensive Wegens and such will make the picking technique easier to learn. But you'll feel like an ass if you happen to lose one. It doesn't really matter what you use so long as it's stiff, Dunlop 1.5 or 2.00mm work fine for me.

And as for learning material the biggest help for me when I started was Michael's book Unaccompanied Django. You learn a lot about how Django put his music together from this one and it's also great for learning the picking. Dennis Chang's dvds are a wealth of info that will take several years to master but are worth every penny.

Good Luck!
    Travis
    Playing guitar gives you cancer.
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    There is an assortment of low priced gypsy type guitars that don't have the right sound and until someone has tested the Enorez there is no point gambling on it.