DjangoBooks.com

Red Strings for Jazz

HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
Hi,

Today I just discovered a so-called new type of guitar strings. I have spent a little bit of time trying to find a 'good' set of strings for use on my f-hole arch top. I usually use Martin SP 80/20s for an acoustic sound and then change them when I plug in with either round or flat wound electric strings.

Today I tried a set of Red Brand strings. They claim to be unlike 80/20 and phosphor bronze types in that they have a higher copper content. Hence they characterize themselves as a copper bronze string. Anyway, they have a pleasing, friendly less brash sound on my budget plywood archtop. It provided a fatter lower midrange tone that got this guitar much closer to the sound of older Gibson budget guitars strung with bronze strings. They are also more flexible in feel to the stiffer feeling 80/20 and phosphor bronze types.

The very best part is that through my Kent Armstrong neck suspended pickup, it really sounded balanced plugged into an amp. Totally unexpected and unlike other acoustic bronze strings. I think this can really give me what I have been trying to find in terms of playing GJ, jazz and whatever else, in playing with a more authentic acoustic-electric archtop instead of the more commonly squashed treble-very warm hollow body electric sound. I guess I'll have to spend more time with these strings to fully decide.

Anyway, just a FYI.

Best,
HCQ