DjangoBooks.com

Charupakorn transcriptions

edited August 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 9
I've ordered a number of books on Djangos's style. I started my study by transcribing Django's solo to Minor Swing and am getting pretty good at it. Then I got the Charupakorn book, which is the first one I've received and I was surprised by the same transcriptions. The transcriptions in the Charupakorn book seem almost unplayable. The fingerings I worked out on my own where much better and easier to play. Has anyone else had experience with this book and noticed the same thing?

Comments

• Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    It is my understanding that the transcriptions in the Charupakorn book are just a subset of the exact same transcriptions that appear in Hal Leonard's "Django Reinhardt: The Definitive Collection." And yes, there are plenty of mistakes...especially in the tab (or fingerings).

(I know someone who, having bought both books, wrote to Hal Leonard and specifically asked what was Charupakorn's actual contribution to his book. Hal Leonard never bothered to reply.)

It's probably better to set the books aside (or just use them as an occasional reference) and continue transcribing by yourself. You'll learn more that way, and will most likely end up with more accurate results.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i've tried contacting hal leonard to have my django transcriptions published, they never bothered to reply either...
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    Hi all,
    So . . . I'd like to agree with tom- It's better to learn the tunes by ear and really get them under your fingers this way then to read them . . . .but Its great sight reading practice to read the transcriptions . . . Although i find that some of them have so many mistakes; some are way better then others (though they still need a bit of editing) . . . other then dennis's anyone got any ideas about acurate transcriptioins- with the dots- not just tabs!
    Cheers,
    b.