DjangoBooks.com

pickguard questions

i dont have one on my manouche guitar and i realize that is a mistake as i am busy wearing down the wood in one spot.any suggestions for putting on one yourself of paying someone to do this?

thanx
dan

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Dan, hope this isn't an answer askew of your intent, but I know that when I first began playing this style a few months back, I was alarmed at the amount of times I was striking the soundboard, both when strumming, and on 1st-string rest stroking. I'm not sure if it's because I haven't played in so long (in other words, because I'm just plain rusty), or because my muscle memory from those many decades ago was still locked in, on the basis of a flexible pick and an altogether different style of flatpick playing. Either way, because I, too, was pretty concerned I had thought of a pickguard, as well.

But then I thought to myself that this might be a great training method, to see if it might help point a way to better playing overall by investigating why this particular thing was happening. What I've discovered is that at least for me, it all comes down to tension.

Or, I should say, I think it all comes down to a question of tension - though I also can't deny that as I've made progress in other ways, other "ticks" have also lessened, simply as I've gotten a better body-sense of the GJ "thing" overall, in terms of technique and feel (in other words, as the pecularities involved don't feel so peculiar and alien, a lot of the stuff from a few months back has effaced quite a bit, and I don't ).

The main thing I've found is that the more my wrist is supple and totally relaxed, the less the "tick" to the soundboard takes place, whether strumming or doing a good hammer of a rest stroke on the 1st string.

Anyway, just a humble thought from a very new player, so take it for what it's worth.

Paul
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • McQMcQ Fayetteville, ARNew
    Here's a suggestion for a removable pick-guard: http://www.luxlogs.com/GuitarBra/index.html
    If you order #9 then you can cut to your desired shape.

A removable one might be a good idea because, as the above post suggests, maybe one day your technique changes such that you're no longer hitting. I was considering getting a removable pick-guard, but I read on a post in another thread about how the wrist motion, being almost exactly like shaking out a match, is such that as the pick comes off the e string it ought to curve away from the top of the guitar. So if your wrist motion is like shaking out a match in a slightly circular manner you should reduce the pick hitting the top. For my playing, the adjustment was subtle enough that it wasn't a huge thing to get used to, and now I no longer hit the top. As an added bonus, I think the circular motion also might increase right hand pick speed and it seems like I can relax more but hit the string harder--that motion described in Gypsy Picking of letting the pick fall onto the string just seems easier with this sort of subtle wrist motion. Hope all that makes sense--kind of a challenge to put into words.

Of course, if you have no desire to change your technique, then I'd still suggest the removable pick-guard, just for the versatility. Maybe you use it when you practice, but remove it when you record (or if you ever want to sell your guitar, etc)
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    although working on a relaxed picking technique is always good, protecting your guitar is a good idea as well, but be aware that even though removable, a pickguard it's surely gonna leave a "shadow" on your guitar's top if you leave it on long enough.
    Pretty much everybody hits or scratches the top at least sometimes, just have a look at Django's guitar (if he had a wrong technique I don't want to have a right one):

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    just have a look at Django's guitar (if he had a wrong technique I don't want to have a right one):

LOL - Ahem. So much for that theory. :oops:
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • Frank WekenmannFrank Wekenmann Germany✭✭✭✭
    On a guitar with a nitro finish, you will wear through the finish if you constantly drag your right-hand fingers across the soundboard like many players do. I think that is what happened to Django's guitar.

Btw, the pictures of #503 made me decide against a pickguard. I think it looks weird when a much used guitar does show some wear and patina except for the place where it is to be most expected...