DjangoBooks.com

I just ordered a Cigano GJ-10....

dgimcmillandgimcmillan Abbotsford, B.C., CanadaNew
and now I'm definitely feeling some apprehension! :oops:

I thought I would be pulling the plug at Djangofest, but the day I was there Michael et al didn't have any instruments for me to try out. :cry:

Well...3 weeks later and hours of playing Gypsy Étude #1 and #2 have pushed me to the brink!

My Godin 5th avenue Kingpin is great, but it isn't a GJ guitar and the GJ-style strings don't feel right on it.

So, my order has been placed, and now the questions:

1. I went with the GJ-10 because I like the petite bouche, and I'll never be a good rhythm player anyways. Will the GJ-10 be okay for solo playing, or am I going to get too thin a sound?

2. I went with the Package deal set-up option for $151. Am I wasting my money on an expensive set-up for such a low end guitar?

3. I play fingerstyle on a folk-size short-scale guitar with a 1.8 nut and 24.5 scale length, and jazz/electric on my Kingpin with about 1.8 and 25.0 scale, too. They are both shorter-scale than the GJ-10, aren't they? How much of a factor will this be?, given that I'm a hack at the best of times?

4. This one's for Michael. I'll be at my place in Birch Bay on Friday next week. Would it be easier for it to be delivered there, or to my home in Canada?

I guess I'm just "fretting" :lol: , but reassurances would be good.

Ian

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    "and I'll never be a good rhythm player anyways"

Better practice your rhythm too!
  • dgimcmillandgimcmillan Abbotsford, B.C., CanadaNew
    Better practice your rhythm too!

Why? Once I've got the look, doesn't everything else come with it!!! :lol:

Yeah, I will definitely work on la pompe, too.

Ian
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    [quote="dgimcmillan"
    I thought I would be pulling the plug at Djangofest, but the day I was there Michael et al didn't have any instruments for me to try out. [/quote]

Sorry, I can't bring everything.

1. I went with the GJ-10 because I like the petite bouche, and I'll never be a good rhythm player anyways. Will the GJ-10 be okay for solo playing, or am I going to get too thin a sound?

It's made for lead...the GJ-15 won't cut as much as the GJ-10
    2. I went with the Package deal set-up option for $151. Am I wasting my money on an expensive set-up for such a low end guitar?

Most people do it sooner or later...they are pretty rough out of the box.

3. I play fingerstyle on a folk-size short-scale guitar with a 1.8 nut and 24.5 scale length, and jazz/electric on my Kingpin with about 1.8 and 25.0 scale, too. They are both shorter-scale than the GJ-10, aren't they? How much of a factor will this be?, given that I'm a hack at the best of times?

It just takes some getting used to.
    4. This one's for Michael. I'll be at my place in Birch Bay on Friday next week. Would it be easier for it to be delivered there, or to my home in Canada?

Sorry, the setup work won't be done by then.
  • dgimcmillandgimcmillan Abbotsford, B.C., CanadaNew
    Thanks, Michael..

I hope you didn't think I was complaining about your set-up at Djangofest. I was simply bemoaning the fact I haven't bought a GJ guitar yet. :)

I read the timeline about set-ups, so I had a pretty good idea that next week for delivery was too soon.

When you say the GJ-15 won't cut as much, are you suggesting I change and go with it? I know you haven't heard me play, nor do you know my abilities, so I guess I'm just wondering..

Even though this will be my first Selmac style guitar, I doubt it will be my last. That likely means that my choice isn't really that important yet. Still, a person always wants to make the right choice..

Ian
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

When you say the GJ-15 won't cut as much, are you suggesting I change and go with it? I know you haven't heard me play, nor do you know my abilities, so I guess I'm just wondering..

No, the GJ-10 is probably the better choice unless you only want to play rhythm. Then the GJ-15 will be fine.

'm