DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Just a couple of questions...

1. The listing in the store is kind of confusing.
    Includes printable transcriptions in both Tablature and standard Musical Notation.
    This DVD follows the traditional gypsy method of instruction. No tab is provided and students are encouraged to learn by watching and repeating.

So, are there tab and transcriptions?

2. Does the media have captions in English, and other languages?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Both DVDs are captioned in English and French.

The Waltzes DVD has tabs and transcriptions and the Improvisation DVD employs the traditional 'listen, watch, and learn' method.

My bet is these are going to sell out fast.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • noizenoize Netherlands✭✭✭
    Just ordered. I am very excited about this!
    Thanks ahead for all the work put in to this,
    and I'll give a review as soon as I got the time.
    These look great!
  • cantzoncantzon Jeju Do, South KoreaNew
    There's no good excuse for not having notation with these DVDs.
    yes there is , besides there will be transcriptions on the new site ... ear training is really important... in my 10+ yrs of teaching and of hanging out with musicians of all caliber and walks of life, the ones who had the hardest time catching on are the ones who spent their lives reading from tabs...

for amateur guitar players, that's fine, it's just a hobby...but i produce dvds for people who really want to get better.. amateur or not... don't like it? don't buy it... simple as that... no one is being misled since it is clearly indicated that tab is not included..

the waltz dvd includes full transcriptions, the purpose of this dvd is a bit different, it's still a good idea to work it out by ear... but the full standard notation and tab is there...

as i said, the new site i'm working on will have the transcriptions of these licks and then some... i just need to work out the logistics...

the "in the style series" concept is very clearly explained... they're not meant to be traditional instructional videos...
    edited November 2009 Posts: 2,161
    btw i'm not saying books are bad, but a lot of people have trouble hearing things and end up relying on tab books as a crutch...

i prefer to teach a person how to fish instead of buying fish for him every day...

i'm told in indian music, you learn how to vocalize a melody before you even play it on an instrument.. or something like that... this is exactly what people who are serious about music need to be able to do
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Here's my opinion...

I'm nearly deaf, so what in the world am I doing learning and playing GJ, anyway? Well, most of the instructional videos and web sites on the market that 'teach' this style really can't compare to the one's Denis is involved in. If you've owned any of his work previously, you know that these are well done, and well produced. The shot angles of the guitar are excellent, and they are captioned in English and French. When something is demonstrated, it is presented at several different speeds, and clearly explained - I mean clearly. Denis takes that time to go over something important by emphasizing the point and repeating examples.

While I prefer to have transcriptions available, as it does help me pickup what I've missed in a session. I was a bit suspicious of the technique and have been disappointed with other 'online' web sites that use it in place of transcriptions. Some others just play things so fast, I just can't get it, and the examples are difficult to follow without captioning at the least. I did take quite a long time to review the available examples of the vids posted on YouTube, and after having no trouble learning the concepts from those, I decided to bite the bullet and get one. I've not been sorry in the least. The production, and the technique works to great effect and even with my so-called disability, I was able to learn the concepts. My rhythm playing is back to form and I have some new 'chops' as well.

I used to play professionally, but stopped as without my hearing aids, I am deaf. New technology has allow me to engage in my first love - playing music, and instead of rock, blues, and country, I'm focused on GJ. So, I can tell you without reservation that I am more than happy with Denis' vids, and having seen the examples of Stochelo's on YouTube, have no doubt that I will enjoy his as well.

Now, I may never play professionally again - still haven't decided on that one, but it won't be for lack of having the skills. I may never play as well as Denis and Stochelo, but if I ever had the opportunity to jam with them, I think I would not feel out of place playing rhythm - at the very least. while picking up even more from them in-person. Like Denis says - if you don't think this will help you - don't buy. However, I ordered them and am looking forward to getting started with them.

This is not a paid ad, but my sincere opinion. BTW - I'm learning the style on a flat-top, resonator, archtop, and classical. I expect my first GJ guitar soon. Now, when the transcriptions are available, I'll download them, but I don't expect to need or rely on them that much, as with all things the more you listen, and play - the better you get.
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    hmm, seems like every time dennis releases a dvd we end up discussing the merits of ear training. so i think i'll add my thoughts on this.

i think that a lot of modern guitar players have this problem of being over reliant on written music. myself included. it took me way too long to realise i would never be able to play jazz properly unless i started trying to develop my ear.

it's funny how people don't seem to mind dropping a few grand for a guitar or endlessly practicing arpeggios to a metronome but can remain so opposed to improving their ear. especially when you consider that years ago the only way to learn this music was by listening.

i think the problem stems from the fact that on guitar we can get to a pretty respectable stage of proficiency without training the ears much and when you feel capable of playing reasonably well it's hard to go back to working on fundamental stuff. for me, starting to transcribe stuff was really daunting because i was terrible at it. i've improved a good bit which is encouraging. but i still need a lot of work.

since i've been working on dennis dvds they have been a big help with this. the visual you get lets you see the position the lick is played in as well as i rough idea of the moments involved. also, i think working on transcribing licks is a good way to improve if you feel that working on whole solos is too tough.

this is just my experience, i'm still quite new to this.
This discussion has been closed.
Home  |  Forum  |  Blog  |  Contact  |  206-528-9873
The Premier Gypsy Jazz Marketplace
DjangoBooks.com
USD CAD GBP EUR AUD
USD CAD GBP EUR AUD
Banner Adverts
Sell Your Guitar
© 2024 DjangoBooks.com, all rights reserved worldwide.
Software: Kryptronic eCommerce, Copyright 1999-2024 Kryptronic, Inc. Exec Time: 0.01458 Seconds Memory Usage: 0.998718 Megabytes
Kryptronic