DjangoBooks.com

GJ Chord Dictionary

Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
edited December 2009 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 629
I was scannin', modifyin', cuttin', pastin' a whole bunch of stanard GJ chord voicings for some play along sheets to pass out to friends. Regular chord dictionaries don't really encompass the voicings that are used in a lot of GJ rhythm playing - the Am6 as 5x45xx, for example.

It occurred to me that this would be a whole lot easier if there was some sort of GJ chord dictionary. Gonzalo covers a lot of these chord shapes in his workshops, and I bet Robin Nolan could crank out a pretty good one just based on the chords from his play-along books.

Or does something like this already exist?
Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Tele295 wrote:

Or does something like this already exist?

Yes, the Gypsy Rhythm book has a complete chord dictionary.

'm
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    I printed off some neck charts that you use for chords. Then I went through the Gig Book and charted all the chords. There really aren't that many different shapes, and you can easily figure out the tonic. I combined that with the shapes from the Wrembel book, and so far I haven't been stumped. Grabing the chord is, of course, a different matter.

Good luck.

Greg
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    There's really a good 'freebie' source doc available which presents a good tutorial on guitar chords, how to build them, and chord frames, Jazz Guitar Online http://www.jazzguitar.be/. They're pretty much what you find used in jazz, and GJ. Colin Cosimini's web site, Djangosolos http://www.djangosolos.com/ , has some examples from his chord books, that have a couple of pages of his chord shapes - take look at the 'All of Me pdf'. All of these are pretty much similar to what I've found illustrated in many of the books that I have collected through the years. Also, don't forget that many chords have the same tones, and depending on what inversion you use, can be called a different name, and to further complicate it - there are chord substitutions galore.

I think it's such a huge topic for discussion, but what it really comes down to is your personal style on whether you use 1-note (Freddy King jazz style) or full 6 note chords. It really depends on your setting and whether you need to allow space between the the playing of your ensemble. The bass player often will play the root note, and some horn sections will take 3rds or 5ths, and a pianist will want other 'colour's, so you have to work it out in a fashion that allows the harmony to breathe.

So, basically, I've found the best approach is to know how to build chords, what notes comprise a major, minor, diminished, augmented, and so on. Then, you can easily 'grab' the chord you need, constructing them or 'de-constructing' them at will. For what it's worth, I still use my "Mel Bay's Deluxe Chord Book' http://www.amazon.com/presents-Deluxe-Encyclopedia-Guitar-Chords/dp/0786652500/ref=tmm_other_title_0, which gives the chord shapes, notes, fingerings, and music example for them. It's spiral bound and I've given one to my daughter when she started learning. It's about $12 or $15 and believe me, you'll get a lot of use, and knowledge from it. The key to all of these references is learning the ones that really work for you, and nobody can really give you that definitively - you have to play and learn.

Many times, I find I use a mix of all approaches in the same tune, so it's just a question of style in the end.

Cheers
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I like those chunky 3 string chords on just the E, D and G strings. I'm always finding new voicings and substitutions there.

I studied with a Berklee arranger for years, so I know my chords, or can figure out extensions. I'm just looking for a shortcut to aid some of my jamming buddies who don't necessarily have the education or background. Play-along charts similar to what Robin Nolan has in his books
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Ah, I see. I don't have any of Robin's books, down there on the list for gifts to me. I see what you mean though. I don't know of any specific doc of something like a 3&4 note Gypsy Chord book, but I sure use a lot of them.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    The chord charts in the Cosimini series look good, too, (although not complete), especially when you see how he applies them song to song.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    JazzDawg wrote:
    Ah, I see. I don't have any of Robin's books, down there on the list for gifts to me. I see what you mean though. I don't know of any specific doc of something like a 3&4 note Gypsy Chord book, but I sure use a lot of them.

The Gypsy Rhythm book has all the 3 and 4 note chords in the chord dictionary at the back of the book.

'm