DjangoBooks.com

extra ounce of speed and other questions?

kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 421
Just a few more technical questions:

1. Since the pinky isn't very prominent on the left hand, is there a way to stow it or hang it or position it so it doesn't cause tension. I was doing the 2.2 exercise and found, and have always found my pinky causes unnecessary tension at high speeds.

2. Any advice on getting that extra ounce of speed? I know you always emphasize to take things slower and do things right, which I agree will make you faster and better in the end, but do you have any other advice? Any practice techniques, relaxing techniques, equipment tips etc.

3. Does the right hand always stay in the arched wrist position, and does a full rest stroke always get completed even at ripping fast speeds? Let's say I'm doing ex. 2.2, going at 16th notes with a quarter note tempo marked at 175. Will my mechanics change in any way whatsoever, or be adjusted in any nominal way?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

1. Since the pinky isn't very prominent on the left hand, is there a way to stow it or hang it or position it so it doesn't cause tension. I was doing the 2.2 exercise and found, and have always found my pinky causes unnecessary tension at high speeds.

I'd have to see what you're doing....generally you just want to keep it relaxed.

2. Any advice on getting that extra ounce of speed?

Lots of slow practice is the best thing. Other then that having a guitar that's easy to play makes a big difference. If you can get your action below 3mm then you will be able to play faster, but you need a really good guitar to do that. Most of the Asian guitars die if you take the action that low, and they have tons of fret buzz too. The Duponts and especially the Barault guitars can get very, very low and still sound good and not buzz. I have one Dupont VR setup with 2.4mm action, sounds great, and you can fly on that thing!

3. Does the right hand always stay in the arched wrist position, and does a full rest stroke always get completed even at ripping fast speeds?
    Yes, the wrist is always arched and you always complete the rest stroke.

'm
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Well you must get sick of getting asked the same questions over and over again, but it's hard to take such a new technique after you've been playing for a while. But your book has definitely done wonders for my sound in the last month. Thanks for the advice.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    great, glad to hear you're making progress!