DjangoBooks.com

Manouche Ltd-Archtop model info?

edited December 2009 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 4,735
Does someone knows some more info about this model. I'm not really ready to place an order and that's why I'm hesitating to call them directly. Search didn't yield much because of so generalized name of the company and the guitar model. If you know something share please, like sound firstly.
Thank you
Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Comments

• JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Don't exactly know if you are referring to this company, 'Manouche Guitars Ltd' or another one. You might find this post informative:
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7283

I do see where Manouche Guitars was offering an Archtop model, but don't know any more than what's posted at this link:
    http://www.manouche-guitars.com/shop.aspx?sm=GT
    Yes, Manouche Ltd it is. I just found about them making this jazz archtop model (es 165) through the thread you refferd to. I know they have a great reputation but it'd be great if I could hear the sound someplace.
    Thanks thou
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    I was a dealer for Manouche LTD guitars for about six months a few years back. As part of my initial commitment and inventory requirement I ordered one of their "165" models. I opened it and within an hour sent it back. Very dissappointing for the money. I would have had to sell it for $1300. IMHO it wouldn't warrant a $595.00 retail. Exceptionally heavy laminate plates for the top and back. It was dead acoustically. Really cheap floating pickup and equally cheezy hardware. Unless they've made very dramatic quality and build improvements, you'd be better served with an entry Ibanez archtop or even the Epiphone 175, which is a higher quality, better playing guitar, if you can imagine, for less than half the cost.
    Ouch, brutally honest answer. But I appreciate it. It seemed it could be a good value budget jazz box but I did ask myself how well a company that specializes in a certain style will make something outside of their expertise.
    Thank you for taking time and a quick answer.
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    You are welcome. The archtops were not made in the same production facility as the SelMacs. Their 12 fret Orchestre was an outstanding value at the time and the Modele Jazz was also a great deal when it rtailed for $1450. A demonstrable upgrade from Gitane DG 300s. Problem was the guitars were built in China sent to England for final assembly, sent to the distributor in states at the Euro exchange rates and out to the dealers in essentially Pounds Sterling cost. With the dollar devaluation over the last few years, their list just shot up to close to 2k. Lots of other options at that price point.
    What got me thinking about it is that they show $750 price on their NA website which is considerably cheaper than what the British site shows. That plus I thought you'd be getting an instrument that looks and more importantly plays more like >$1000 guitar. But if it's closer to Ibanez or Epi league then I'll pass. For this money I'd think about Loar that I've also just discovered, but that's a different topic although more appropriate for this forum because as it turns out Paul Mehling of SFHC plays and is endorsing one of their models.
  • Pugs47Pugs47 New
    From my recollection, there's been discussion of the Loar's on this forum. You may want to search.
    Yeah I just did, thanks. Interesting variety of opinions, as it usually is the case.