DjangoBooks.com

slowing songs for practice

edited December 2012 in FAQ Posts: 27
Can anybody please point me in the right direction and explain how this can be achieved for me practicing songs .The gypsy tracks are always very fast but i saw on you tube where a guy slowed down the track and he merrily followed the track at a pace that suited him

How is this achieved, and where may i find this gadget for sale ?.

THANKYOU

DNM) DAVID

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Have a look at Transcribe, a program that changes tempo but maintains pitch. Also makes key changes while maintaining tempo. Works with a variety of audio formats and has a Quicktime plugin to play AND slow down videos. Transcribe has lots of other cool features that make it very useful for practice and transcribing. Free trial for 30 days, then $50. I started with version 5. Upgrades come every 6-12 months and are free to registered users. Andy is continually adding new features and enhancements. I'm on version 8 now, great product.

http://www.seventhstring.com

There are others. The Amazing Slow Downer is one often mentioned, but I have no experience with it.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I've had very good luck with Amazing Slow Downer:
    http://www.ronimusic.com/

Their Ultimate DVD Player works in a similar fashion with DVDs. Transcribe's video program works with a variety of video formats but not directly with DVDs, as far as I know. You would have to convert DVD video into another format.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    If you use Audacity (great, free, recording software) you can slow music down with or without changing the pitch (Speed vs. Tempo in their menu). I'm pretty sure you can also do it with the current Windows Media Player and Quicktime applications, so have a look at those before you drop a lot of cash on something you might already have.

Found online:
    ...Windows Media Player version 10 instructions : load the track for playing in Windows Media Player, select "View" at the top, and under "Enhancements", select "Show Enhancements". Then go to the "Now Playing" tab, and you can use the slider to slow the piece down.

QuickTime version 7 instructions : load the track into QuickTime Player, and on the Window menu select "Show A/V Controls". There is a "Playback Speed" slider in this window.

hope that helps,
    Jack.
    I can slow down tracks with my media player: Creative Mediasource. It came witth my soundblaster soundcard.
    Have a look at Transcribe, a program that changes tempo but maintains pitch. Also makes key changes while maintaining tempo. Works with a variety of audio formats and has a Quicktime plugin to play AND slow down videos. Transcribe has lots of other cool features that make it very useful for practice and transcribing. Free trial for 30 days, then $50. I started with version 5. Upgrades come every 6-12 months and are free to registered users. Andy is continually adding new features and enhancements. I'm on version 8 now, great product.

http://www.seventhstring.com

There are others. The Amazing Slow Downer is one often mentioned, but I have no experience with it.

I absolutely agree! Using Transcribe is almost like cheating.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    soundslice ;)
  • I tried amazing a few years ago and at half speed the sound was pretty awful

I use audacity now
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    I use 'Transcribe'. Very user-friendly and it has some very handy functions like 'looping'.
    Use it all the time.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    I tried amazing a few years ago and at half speed the sound was pretty awful

I use audacity now
    I like Amazing, been using it for years. I've slowed things down to 1/3 and it doesn't sound that bad to me. If you slow it down on the fly, it stutters a bit, but it then seems to settle.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    I've used Amazing ever since doing a workshop at a fest a few years back with Gonzalo, who recommended it. I don't find any issue with pitch distortion on slowing down, personally. It's been a useful thing for me. I'm intrigued by the video "slow downers," however. That sounds like a great tool.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.