DjangoBooks.com

Refinish on manouche guestions..

rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
I am leaving my guitar in to a violn maker friend in order to get the orangey finish removed and to bring it more into keeping with the original selmers. I know that French polishing is probably the way forward but will the sanding process ruin the rosette or binding? How many coats of polish/shelac do you think I should have AND more importantly, could I do this myself without ruining it and crying myself to sleep..??
:?

thanks in advance!
I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell

Comments

• bjewellbjewell New
    More guitars have been ruined by home reparimen than airlines. Leave it to a pro... and go t-h-i-n on the finish! :- )
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi Rimm, first off I know 2009 had its ups and downs for you, so here's wishing you all the best for 2010.
    Anyway, I agree with bjewel, unless you're willing to accept that things can go wrong when rmoving finishes etc. it's maybe best left to the professional when it comes to removing finishes. Having said that I have removed the finish from an Aria by using Nitromors and a Stanley blade. Funnily enough the Nitromors had little effect on the rosette but it did start to make inroads in the binding.

I am thinking of stripping off the finish on a Dell Arte Pigalle simply because I think the finish is a bit on the thick side and removing it may open the guitar up a bit ( ps I really don't know what I mean by the phrase "open up" but it sounds as though I know what I'm talking about )

Taking the finish off the top will also allow me to have a go at giving it an antique/distressed effect. I have done this on my first full guitar build ( an F hole Chorus type gypsy jazzer which I still need to fret up ) I used Nitrocellulose sealer and then a thin, very thin, coloured varnish. My crap finishing technique had the unexpected side effect and bonus of giving the guitar an instant aged look. Like one of Eimers aged guitars.

One thing about the Aria was that the finish - a horrible orange colour - was very thin but there was a lot of sealer underneath.

Finally, I have a little hand built D hole, built by a retired toolmaker and this is finished with 15 coats of turpentine and linseed oil - 50/50 - each coat rubbed in and left to dry, must have taken ages to do. The result is a very thin finish which you know is there but is barely visible on the wood.

Anyway, good luck with everything in 2010
    Alan
    always learning
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Firstly , thanks for that Alan, much appreciated, and as the man said, its getting better all the time.
    I will deffo bring it to my friend to do now as the thought of ruining this guitar would wreck me, and thats not the start to the year that I want.! Aparrantly the Aria pro and my manouche are described as the 'David Dickenson' model by those in the know due to the orange finish..He is a perma tanned tv presenter from the UK who makes George Hamilton look like an Albino..Thanks again for the best wishes mate

Rimm
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Sure, man...listen to the herd and make your guitar look like everybody else's.

Those REALLY in the know recognize the Orange and Brown combination as the colors of El Diablo himself, and consider it more than apt for the Manouche!

I say be happy with your progress playing instead, leave the guitar alone, and preserve its resale value. Then you can resell it and get another vanilla Dupont one day.

Just my contrary opinion. Shoot me if you must!
  • bjewellbjewell New
    Pow!
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    I thought someone would do that...but I'd like you to be aware of one thing. In life I have found there is never a shortage of people who'll blithely give you all the help you need to sow your own destruction...but someone who'll pull your collar a bit and try to make you stop and think a moment is a true friend.