DjangoBooks.com

saga dg-370 dorado schmitt

harryeharrye Australia✭✭✭ Antoine Prabel / Olivier Marin
i am thinking of purchasing one of these to upgrade from my cheap aria. Could people please share their experiences with this guitar?

thanks

Comments

• andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
    It's a pretty good instrument. I like it a lot.

Has a great sound to it, plays real nice, pretty loud. A lot better than the D-500, the only other Gitane I've played. You should replace the bridge with a Dupont and get it setup properly and you'll be good to go.

You will probably need a #4 bridge if you get one anything like the one I saw and it will still need shimming to get up to ~3mm. For some reason (neck angle/top/fingerboard thickness?(i'm not a luthier)) the bridge really needs a lot more height than normal to get up to an adequate action for proper tone/volume.
  • Shimming a bridge is not the best thing to do to generate good tone.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • andmerandmer New York✭✭✭
    Jazzaferri wrote:
    Shimming a bridge is not the best thing to do to generate good tone.

probably, but it is not an uncommon occurrence.
  • Unfortunately you are too correct in that one :D

Unlike flattops which I gather produce sound from a rocking motion, Archtops and Selmac style guitars transmit all the energy in the vertical plane so one loses a bit of tone in shimming process.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed