DjangoBooks.com

Birelis new guitar

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited May 2010 in Welcome Posts: 386
Aria mm20!!!

http://www.lexpress.fr/culture/musique/ ... 43344.html

if ever proof were needed that its the player not the guitar:-).....well almost!

Comments

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    That is excellent, played one a while back and gave it back in disgust........now i know it was me.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    He does have quite a look of disgust on his face as he's playing though... I think one of the biggest things about a really good guitar is the pleasure it invokes when playing. I don't see any where near as much pleasure on his face as, say, when doing the same tune on the Vienna DVD, with a Dupont in his hands...
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Does anyone else wonder why Bireli is playing rhythm so friggin' LOUD? You can barely hear Thomas at times when he's soloing.

Probably the best thing I learned at my first Django in June (2007) from Denis Chang and Ted Gottsegen was to always play underneath the soloist, never overpower them. The first words out of Denis' mouth when I started to show off my formidable rhythm chops were "TOO LOUD!" and for the rest of the class "STILL too loud!" By the end of the week, it was " Well ... it's getting better."

As much as I admire Denis as a soloist, I continue to marvel at his tasteful rhythm playing, as on the Wawau Adler video or at the Kruno concert at last year's DiJ - always understated, always supporting the soloist but never taking centre stage.

So Bireli, as Stephane Wrembel would say, "Wot da fock, man???"
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    klaatu wrote:
    Does anyone else wonder why Bireli is playing rhythm so friggin' LOUD? You can barely hear Thomas at times when he's soloing.

in the video bireli has his guitar facing forward towards the film crew while thomas points his off into space. that makes a huge difference to what gets picked up by the mics. so i don't think bireli was actually really over powering him in the room that's just how it comes across on the video.

anyway i don't mind, these videos have some of the best close up shots of bireli's playing i have seen.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    man for some reason the videos won't play for me I will try them at home it might be something with my corporate network here at work.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Bireli ,as Steven eire said, is nearer the camera and it gives the impression to the viewer than hes playing too loud ;many of the bootleg camcorder vids from Samois have the same problem-- Dutronc is also a pretty quiet lead player of course
    Bireli is the best rhythm player since Django--when he backs florin in those duos they used to do his rhythm is incredible.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    stubla wrote:
    Bireli is the best rhythm player since Django--when he backs florin in those duos they used to do his rhythm is incredible.
    I actually like Bireli more as a rhythm player than a soloist. :shock:
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    stubla wrote:

It's just hard to get him to come & play rhythm for the Swing Cats... Too unreliable!!!
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    pinkgary wrote:
    stubla wrote:

It's just hard to get him to come & play rhythm for the Swing Cats... Too unreliable!!!
    Not only that but he insists on soloing and does tend to make the rest of us sound just a bit pedestrian. :roll:
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Not only that but he insists on soloing and does tend to make the rest of us sound just a bit pedestrian. :roll:

The nerve of some people!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles