DjangoBooks.com

Req: Bossa Dorado - Stochelo Lick

La GitaneLa Gitane Llanelli, UK✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 48
Hi All

Recently saw a great video of Stochelo performing Bossa Dorado on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZIQnw_gnZo

He plays a rapid fire lick at 2:21 - 2:25 in this clip, which he repeats to give a syncopated effect over the Dm chord (he also plays a similar lick over A7 at 2:32 - 2:35).

I've seen him play this lick in other performances too, and have tried to transcribe it (attached).

I'm happy with the notes and fret positions, but before I retire to a cave and spend the next 10 years learning to play it up to speed, I'd be very grateful for your opinion and advice regarding whether I've transcribed the LH fingering and direction of pick strokes correctly, or whether there is another way to play the lick which is faster and less likely to result in permanent hand injury!
(BTW ignore the time signature - it doesn't make sense!).

Many thanks in anticipation

Dave

Comments

• IMO your transcription's got all the hallmarks of ease of learning if one uses four fingers.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hi the notes are right, but the rhythm and articulations are wrong.... that lick is broken down in the stochelo DVD :-) hahaha

but i'm a nice guy so here.... at every high note, it's not a 16th note but a an 8th note.. the rhythm is much simpler than what you wrote.... finally it's DOWN UP PULL OFF DOWN UP DOWN... repeat

it's not easy to figure out these articulations you have to pay attention like a madman... even stochelo didn't know how to break it down hahah i had to show it to him
  • La GitaneLa Gitane Llanelli, UK✭✭✭
    Hi guys

Thanks for saving me months of work learning to play the lick the wrong way!

Glad it is a bit more straightforward than I thought - though I'm sure it will still be far from easy to play it up to Stochelo warp-speed...

I use "Transcribe!" with the video feature enabled to slow down the licks. Its a wonderful bit of software for working out the notes and LH fingerings ,but even with this help, like you say, working out the articulation and correct sequence of pick strokes, pull offs/hammer ons can be tough; especially for licks played at this kind of speed!

Your Stochelo DVD sounds great Dennis - will ask my wife to buy it for me for my birthday!

Best wishes

Dave
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Dennis,

Do you happen to recall off the top of your head which section in the Stochelo dvd this lick occurs in?

Thanks