DjangoBooks.com

1941 Epiphone Emperor

Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
edited April 2010 in Classifieds Posts: 164
I am selling my 1941 Epiphone Emperor. I just don't use it. It is all original and in excellent playing condition. There is some deterioration of the binding on the back The rest is in excellent shape and it plays very well. The sound is loud and has the depth you would expect from a guitar that is 18 1/2" across the lower bout. It comes with a new case and a custom made case cover. I can send photos to those interested. $4500.00. You don't see these offered very often. I just don't play it very much and I would like to see it go to someone who would really use it. You can PM me if you like or e-mail me directly at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->.

Ken Bloom
Ken Bloom

Comments

• keary18keary18 Jackson, MS✭✭✭✭
    Ken - did you ever live in or near NYC and teach there in the 1980's? I studied once with a teacher at the Guitar Study Center - owned by Eddie Simon - brother to Paul, and his name was Ken Bloom...

good luck selling the Epiphone, those are great guitars...
    David
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Wow, wish I could afford that, but all my money is tied up in gypsy guitars. I've got a 1946 Epi Triumph that is a perfect big band rhythm machine. Bet the Emperor is awesome.

It's too bad that Gibson kept the name after they bought the company and used it for their second line of guitars, which are now made in Asia. Worse yet, they recycled some of the old model names, like Emperor and Broadway. Most people have no idea that Epiphone was once Gibson's biggest rival. Those old Epiphones are fantastic guitars, every bit as good, if not better than, the Gibsons that command such high prices because of the name.

Freddie Green played an Emperor during one part of his career:
    http://www.freddiegreen.org/instruments/guitars.html
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    Hi David,

Yes, I am the same Ken Bloom. Nice to see you here. I am happy to say that the guitar sold last night to someone who plays with a swing band regularly and was looking for something with more oomph than his Epi Spartan. The Emperor is a really wonderful guitar but I just don't play it. I spend all my time on my seven string selmac. The Emperor really is the Freddie Green special. It has that chord sound you only get from a really big archtop.

Ken Bloom
    Ken Bloom
  • keary18keary18 Jackson, MS✭✭✭✭
    Ken, I studied with you for a while, remember it well and have wondered over the years where you ended up. In our lessons, you encouraged (and made) me read and play melody, you were teaching me the beginnings of bluegrass, etc. a lot of fun! I go to NYC and take Woody Mann's weekend workshops for Swing; I've known Woody for many years and it's a good reason to go to the city for a day or two...

Glad to know your doing well!

I love the Freddie Green style and play his chord voicings a lot in our group but also trying to branch out a little on my own. Last summer I met Jerry Krahn in Nashville while his group was playing at the hotel we were staying in. Jerry LOVES Epiphones so when I saw your guitar listed I had to look at what it was and voila, there is your name! Jerry also plays an Ellsberry archtop (Lutan model) that was commissioned for him. He has a website jerrykrahn.com...a real great guy and a heck of a player.

take care Ken, great seeing you here!
    David
  • badjazzbadjazz Maui, Hawaii USA✭✭✭ AJL
    Hey, I haven't been checking this page for a while, but I would be interested if it is still available. Would it be possible to get pictures? Thanks!
  • Ken BloomKen Bloom Pilot Mountain, North CarolinaNew
    I'm sorry I didn't say someting. It has a new home with a guy who plays with a swing band in Wisconsin. I am so happy it has a good home. I just never used it. If you still want some pictures of it I will be happy to send you some if you PM me. Thanks for the interest.
    Ken Bloom