DjangoBooks.com

Gitane Dg-370 + Benedetto Floater??

I have an idea. I am going to be buying the Gitane Dg-370 soon, and I want to possibly try something. Let me just say I am a big fan of "Natural" gypsy tone. I am also a fan of the benedetto sound. I was thinking about possibly getting the Benedetto floating pickup and putting it in my gypsy... what does everyone think. Heres my thinking. I don't expect (correct me if im wrong) the the benedetto will have a gypsy tone response, but if I want that I can always just mic it. What I am thinking however is some kind of hybrid tone, that may be achieved from it. What do you guys think?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    We did something like that a while back:

http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/eco ... ectro.html

It works well but like any guitar if you set it up to sound good electric (low action, heavy nickel strings) then it sounds terrible acoustic. If you set it up to sound good acoustic (light Argentine strings, high action) then it sounds terrible electric.

There aren't too many guitars that do both well....the only one I've found is the Benedetto Vignola model. It lives in a world somewhere between electric and acoustic, very nice.

With the DG-370 I would advise just setting it up acoustic and then slapping a Stimer on when you want an electric sound. The Stimer works way better than a Benedetto pickup when the guitar is setup for acoustic playing.

'm
  • Michael beat me to it, but I was also going to say "why not just get a Stimer?" Easier to mount, sounds great! Not a humbucker, true, but they still sound good. You can dial in a dark, jazzier tone at your amp.
    Thanks Guys that helps, out curiosity Michael, I am planning on getting the Dg-370 from you guys, do i need to get the action set up or is it nice as it is?
    The 370 ships from the factory better than most....frets still tend to be uneven and the action is often too high or too low, but it's probably OK. If you want it to sound and play it's best it helps to have it thoroughly worked over.
    How much extra would it cost to have you guys set it up nicely? (im a really poor college student scrapping for this...)
    Here are the options:

Set Up Options (takes 2-3 weeks)

Factory Set Up

Professional Gypsy Set Up - Add
    $75.00

Custom High Quality Bridge - Add
    $76.00

Full Fret Level - Add $106.00

Package Deal:Custom Bridge, Set Up
    ( Install Leather Under Tail Piece for Free!) - Add $151.00

Install Clear Pick Guard - Add
    $30.00

Braze Tailpiece (Busato Style) -
    Add $60.00

Bone Nut (Hand Made) - Add $60.00

Install High Quality Ebony
    Tailpiece Ins - Add $40.00

Set Up Special: Fret Level, Custom
    Bridge, and Tailpiece Leather (Set Up is Free!!) - Add $197.00

Personally, I'd go with a Latcho Drom which needs no setup work. Plays and sounds perfect out of the box....once you add the setup costs to the DG-370 it's about the same pricce. These Latcho Droms are really great...sort of like budget Duponts!

Manouche Latcho Drom MAH-110 Oval Hole, Solid Mahogany back and sides, 14 Fret Guitar

Manouche
    Latcho Drom MAH-110 Oval Hole, Solid Mahogany back and sides, 14 Fret
    Guitar

• I know it's cheeky to advise others on how to spend their money however :shock: go with the Latcho if you can

If you are stuck on the Gitane or need to break up the payments

If it were me I would go with the package setup deal plus a bone nut. From experience in setting up guitars I find that a bone nut makes an truly audible difference. Having never changed a bridge on a GJ I have no opinion. Have changed tailpieces on archtops and resos and on both of those types they make a noticeable difference as well.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    I know I started this top about other things but since I have your guys attention, maybe you guys can help me.

Here is my situation. I have saved up $1000 and will have a hard (but potentially doable) time of getting even to the 1500 dollar range. I think 2000 is way out of the question for me. I am a really broke college student, and the money I have made was from selling 3 guitars that i have had. one of them was my first gypsy (Enorez 12fret D Hole). I have been a flat top player for all my years as a guitarist (I am 21 and have been playing since 11), and I play a Martin DCX1E. I love the warm tone it makes, and I have found the the I like the D hole for their warmth as well. So I was doing lots of research (to find nothing really - nobody seems to know much about the Gitane dg-350), between the dg-350, dg-320, and dg-370. I have no way of trying any of these because I live in Colorado and to my knowledge I dont know any place that sells Gypsy Jazz guitars. So I want to buy a guitar that I will really enjoy, but I am currently "gypsyless" and to get another 500 or so would take some time. My quesdtion is based on what you have read, and your honest feelings about the guitars... what should I do? I am hoping the various people including Michael will respond, I really need your guys help. Thanks
    (to find nothing really - nobody seems to know much about the Gitane dg-350)

We know plenty about that model....it has a thicker top than the DG-320 so it sounds more like a flatop. Nice, but people who want a louder, more traditional sound like the DG-320 better. If you like a flatop like tone than the DG-350 is nice.
    My quesdtion is based on what you have read, and your honest feelings about the guitars... what should I do?

If you're serious about playing Gypsy jazz in the traditional style then I'd wait until you have the $1,756 for the Latcho Drom as there's noting even close to it under $2000.

If you really like the D hole sound than both the Dg-370 and Dg-320 are nice but not on the same level as the Latcho Drom. We may have a D hole Latcho Drom at some point.
  • AmirAmir New
    ... but like any guitar if you set it up to sound good electric (low action, heavy nickel strings) then it sounds terrible acoustic. If you set it up to sound good acoustic (light Argentine strings, high action) then it sounds terrible electric.

and what about putting the Benedetto s-6 on a Barault guitar, that naturally sounds great and loud with a very low action (2.6mm on my guitar)?