DjangoBooks.com

Neck stability on Gitane and Cigano guitars

skiski Boston, USANew
Question for those in the know: Is it common for Gitane and Cigano (or Gypsy Jazz guitars in general) to develop a "hump" in the neck/fretboard around the 12th fret, just above where the heel joins the body?

I had a Gitane DG-255 that developed this over time causing the action to become much lower to the point of fretting out at the 13th and 14th frets due to the "hump". I now have a Cigano GJ-10 and the exact same thing has happened. I put a shim under the bridge to raise the action which has addressed the fretting out issue; but I'm wondering if something more permanent can be done and if this is something to expect out of these guitars in general.

Comments

• bigericbigeric Las Vegas Nevada USANew
    My Cigano has the same problem. I just bought a Dell Arte guitar to remedy the problem.
    Actually I used a sound hole humidifier and it helped alot. I still will have to shim the bugger.
    Since I got my Hommage I spend all my time playing her.
  • asd123321asd123321 ✭✭✭✭
    My Cigano is fine but that is a problem that happens to a certain percentage of Acoustic guitars in general.