DjangoBooks.com

miking up with amp for solo gigs

harryeharrye Australia✭✭✭ Antoine Prabel / Olivier Marin
Hi all,

I am about to try and start getting work playing solo gypsy arrangements, at cafe's/restaurants.
Im thinking of miking up with a sm 57, and plugging this straight into my amp (rivera rs55 tube), just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this, as I am inexperienced in doing so.

I know there is a thread dealing with amplification, but i thought id post this seperate since my question is specific.

thanks all

Harry

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Try it first in your living room and go for more volume than what you think you'll actually need.

If you don't need to be very loud it might just work but make sure the amp is far away from the mic and on the headstock side of your guitar.
    The main thing to avoid is the mic picking up and re-amplifying the signal from your amp's speaker because that's where feedback lives and that'll be your worst enemy

I think you'll get better results with a stick-on piezo. There are many cheap ones available including the Radio shack brand and the Dimarzio.
    Google it a bit and you can find instructions for building one yourself.
    These sound decent enough and are much more hassle free.
    Using a combination of the mic plus a piezo is a good compromise.

Then again... if you don't need too much volume the setup you have now could work fine, but it'll be just a little louder than acoustic level.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    One otehr potential problem might be maintaining a constant distance between the guitar and a mic. I've recently found success at low volumes using a Maplins lapel condenser mic. Powered by a battery it can be mounted by a variety of means and you can place it for best effect - either inside or outisde.

Alan
    always learning