DjangoBooks.com

Radiusing bridge

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
I picked up a low cost guitar recently on eBay to use as a backup to my good one. The action is way too low, and shims are helping, but I'd prefer to go with a bridge of proper height. I've got an unfitted bridge blank, both ends the same height. I've read Josh Hegg's informative post about fitting the bridge, but he doesn't mention radiusing to the fingerboard, other than talking about lowering the action by filing the top of the bridge. Any suggestions as to how to proceed (other than give it to someone who knows what he's doing)?
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• If you have one of those profiling devices that is the easiest way to get the neck radius.

Anyway, once you have the neck profile ..... there are a number of methods ...... confirm that the profile is the same all the way up the neck. If it isn't then you need higher level advice than I can give.

If pretty much the same .... shape the top of the saddle to the radius, reset any offsets in the saddle and then you can determine the action heights and sand off the bottom of the saddle as per normal procedure

Keep in mind that one mm off at the saddle = .5mm at the 12th fret
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I picked up a Gallato RS1939.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Ben, I thought you were trying to cure yourself of GAS! So at least e-mail me and tell me how it sounds and plays. Or is this like a dieter eating in the closet so he doesn't get caught? Not that I can talk...
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Ben, I thought you were trying to cure yourself of GAS! So at least e-mail me and tell me how it sounds and plays. Or is this like a dieter eating in the closet so he doesn't get caught? Not that I can talk...
    Michael, I thought I told you about it. Remember I mentioned that I needed something as a beater? This is it. Pretty good beater, I'd say. I couldn't get my Manouche Modele Jazz back from the other guitarist in my band, so I went looking for something else. It is pretty much like the one I had at Django Camp last year that eventually got sold, except this is a 2009, that one was a 2008. Otherwise about the same. Nice dry sound, plays well, nicely constructed, just needs work on the action.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles