DjangoBooks.com

Take 5 and Haitian Fight Song as Gypsy Jazz version?

edited March 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 24
I'd really like to see a video of a gypsy version of Haitian Fight song by Charles Mingus (or any other Minugs tune) and Take 5 as a Gypsy Jazz version. I'd really like the hear how the 5/4 measure can be done with Gypsy Jazz feel.

If noone here knows already existant versions, than maybe some of the more talented people here are inspired to attempt these 2 tunes :D

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Not sure about Take 5 but eleck bacsik recorded Blue rondo ala turk. ( awfully cavalier to call that Gypsy Jazz but you asked :D ) I haven't heard any Mingus tunes so get arranging!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I meant heard any Mingus tunes arranged for gypsy swing. I have heard a lot of Mingus and love the mans music to no end!!
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    I'd really like the hear how the 5/4 measure can be done with Gypsy Jazz feel.

You should give a listen to Les Doigts doing "Old Man River" off their 1910 album (if you haven't heard it already) which is in 5/4 time. Also, the Adrian Moignard podcast in this link has some great tunes in unusual time signatures.

Hope this helps.
    thickpick wrote:
    I'd really like the hear how the 5/4 measure can be done with Gypsy Jazz feel.

You should give a listen to Les Doigts doing "Old Man River" off their 1910 album (if you haven't heard it already) which is in 5/4 time. Also, the Adrian Moignard podcast in this link has some great tunes in unusual time signatures.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this tip! I like it very much
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    i do a version of take 5, it's on my myspace:

www.myspace.com/garywilliams74

disclaimer: i'm not as good as Les Doigts by any means.. But it'll give you any idea of how it can be done.

p.s., it was recorded at a solo gig, it's just me and a looping machine. Just in case you start wondering where all those guitars came from!
    pinkgary wrote:
    i do a version of take 5, it's on my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/garywilliams74

disclaimer: i'm not as good as Les Doigts by any means.. But it'll give you any idea of how it can be done.

p.s., it was recorded at a solo gig, it's just me and a looping machine. Just in case you start wondering where all those guitars came from!

Ah, thank you. I didn't mean a guitar version of Take 5 though (I can play it on guitar fingerpicking), but a gypsy jazz version.
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    Coco Briaval does Take Five on his album Nuit du Voyage, but it's not necessarily a gj version, more a standard version of the song with the solo played on a gj guitar. Michael has it for sale here and you can then click on the song title to hear a sample.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    It's quite gypsy jazz, just not stupidly fast, i think.... Did you listen to it? It's not a solo arrangement or anything.
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    Yes, I listened. I didn't mean that it was a solo version of the tune, but rather that only the guitar solo sounded particularly gj to my ears (versus the accompaniment, which to me sounded like a fairly standard Brubeckian version). I'm also not saying it's not good, or enjoyable, but if Stranded Horse is looking for a version with a definitive "gypsy jazz" feel, this might not be it. But then again, it might be. Which is why I suggested he give it a listen in the first place.
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    It would be well hard to get a pompe going in 5/4 at any decent pace!

Ouch, my wrist is aching, just thinking about it...