DjangoBooks.com

Looking for a decent second hand guitar (beginner)

edited August 2010 in Classifieds Posts: 24
for less than 400 euro.
A Patenotte would be most appreciated.
I don't mind it looking a bit rough.

I'd also consider a guitar with f-holes, so it doesn't just have to be a Maccaferri style guitar

I don't really like the idea of buying a guitar from asia, but if that would be necessary, it rather be second hand.

Comments

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    Have you ever played a Patenotte? If not, try one before buying; they're difficult beasts... huge necks.
    I like big necks. My Telecaster got a 50s style neck
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Telecaster 50's style neck doesn't have anything on my Gitane Jorgenson. I'm not sure I'd use that as a comparison
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    My gosh, Patenotte necks aren't that big. They are deeper than most, but also narrower (at least my 260). I can't speak for every model, but the 260's (Patenotte's top model) are similar in profile to Selmer and Busato necks, but are narrower and smaller in total mass. My '64 Favino has a bigger neck as well. If you are used to a '50's Tele neck, you will not find the Patenotte necks bothersome. A Jorgenson's neck is a little thinner than a Patenotte, but wider. The total mass isn't likely to be much different in my estimation.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    For 400 euro you're going to buy, with some luck, a second hand Patenotte 254. I don't know how they compare to the 260. The 254 I've played were quite demanding instruments, compared to Gitanes... I still think one'd better try them before buying one.
    I will get used to it, and if it's second hand I rely on it being set up properly
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Frater is right. You are not going to get a Patenotte 260 on your budget, unless it's trashed. Try to play as many Patenottes as you can lay your hands on, which probably won't be many. Some are really good, and just as many are poor. A Gitane Jorgenson, as Tele295 suggests, is another option. It has a medium sized neck (by my standards) and you might be able to get a well-used one on your budget. That could be good because the sound will be better if it was played alot. Forget cosmetics in your price range and go for sound and playability.

A new or used Cigano d-hole would be another option. There was just a thread about those here last week. I think they sound better than regular Gitanes, and you might have a few bucks left over to start saving for an even better guitar down the road. I personally hated the Cigano oval hole I tried, but others around here like them, so consider that as well. The received opinion seems to be that the d-holes are better, but you get two fewer frets to the neck.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
    Other options would be a used Loar or Godin Kingpin
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    A new or used Cigano d-hole would be another option. There was just a thread about those here last week. I think they sound better than regular Gitanes, and you might have a few bucks left over to start saving for an even better guitar down the road. I personally hated the Cigano oval hole I tried, but others around here like them, so consider that as well. The received opinion seems to be that the d-holes are better, but you get two fewer frets to the neck.

The Ciganos that I have played have fairly wide fingerboards, but the neck depth is rather thin. If wide = big for the OP, that's definitely the ticket
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • fillegitanefillegitane New YorkNew
    Hello,
    Are you still looking for a Patenotte guitar? And may I ask where you are located? If you could go a little higher to 485 Eur. I have a 2004 Patonette 256 I am not using. It has solid top and sides with laminated back. It's in very good condition. If you are overseas, however, it wouldn't be worth the hassle. And the shipping might be too high to make it worthwhile.
    Best,
    Robbie
    ach mishto