DjangoBooks.com

Question for my new Boonstra

Hi,
Just bought a new Boonstra.
The strings are a little high for me.
Is it wise to get it set up by the builder to my needs or is it good to put on a saddle (hope thats the right word) that you can adjust..I've seen them before on other guitars.

boonstra.jpg

Comments

I think it's this ajustable moustache bridge .
    I never used one..is this cool to put on my guitar? (do you know a site where i can find this type for sale)
    Or is it better to goto the builder and let him adjust it?

bridge.jpg
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Definitely have Boonstra do the job!

P.S.
    That looks like a great guitar! The only reason I still don't own a Boonstra is I'm pretty partial to the original Selmer shape, but the tone of those guitars are truer to the original as few elses...
    Thanks frater!
    I got to choose from 3 guitars.Each very different but all very cool..but I went for the sound of this one.
    Everyone i asked said the same you do..goto Ger.
    :)
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    I think what your calling a saddle (and what you circled in the picture) is the bridge. Your new guitar has a solid wood bridge. It will probably sound best with the bridge that's on it rather than an adjustable bridge. With and adjustable bridge the sound of the strings would have to travel through the wood and through the adjusting screw and likely some of the sound would get lost.

The gypsy guitars nearly all have solid wood bridges. They can be adjusted also, but it is difficult and unless you are good at woodwork, let Mr. Boonstra or another professional adjust your bridge for you.
    You are lucky that your bridge is to high, because it can be reduced in such a way as to meet your needs.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Interestingly Reitz guitars played by Jens Fuglsang of Reve Boheme have that mandolin style adjustable height bridge.

http://www.reitzguitars.dk/Gypsy%20guitar.htm

Sounds pretty good on their albums