patrus le sommelierpatrus le sommelier ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in North America Posts: 208
any advice on jazz or gypsy jazz venue in New Orleans

Sante
patrus
http://www.patrus53.com/

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    I'm not an authority, I've only been there once and that was a couple years ago. At that time, the swing jazz scene was at the Spotted Cat on Frenchman Street just to the east of the French Quarter. Vavavoom was gypsy jazz with horns, woodwinds and piano for a NO twist, playing songs like Django's Tiger, Djangology, Douce, Swing Gitane, Bei mir bist du schon as well as swing jazz standards like I've Found a New Baby. The Jazz Vipers were more New Orleans style swing with lots of horn/woodwind players backed up by a hot rhythm guitarist (12 fret D) and bass. One or the other played nightly to a full house during the week and both were very hot with plenty of swing.

Both groups are now defunct, at least as they were then. The Spotted Cat has been renovated (gasp!) and features a broader spectrum of players, but remnants of both groups still play in the area including including the Spotted Cat and other clubs on Frenchman Street. Members of the Jazz Vipers spun off to form the New Orleans Cottonmouth Kings and a new verison of the Jazz Vipers. I think some of the members of Vavavoom including Bart Ramsey, Nettie Vaan, Raphael Bas, Pierre Pichon and Aurora Nealand may still be playing in the area with new groups.

And, of course, Tony Green if he is in town.

There was also some GJ busking going on when I was there.
  • patrus le sommelierpatrus le sommelier ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Craig for your help
    I ask Tony already even if he his still in Venice for advice.
    Thanks again
    patrus

http://www.patrus53.com/