DjangoBooks.com

Tailpiece BUZZ

I have a new Gitane DG-255. Once I had the bridge raised, it turned out to have amazing punch and a beautiful, woody tone.

However, there was a PRODIGIOUS BUZZ from the tailpiece. Gluing down the decorative plastic inset made little or no difference. Then I just yanked a little on the tailpiece and the buzz went completely away.

I played for several weeks in complete bliss. But, of a sudden, the buzz is back--really back. It's usually loudest on the g and d strings. But it does shift around. Sometimes it resonates at other notes. If I pull and haul on the tailpiece, sometimes I can get it to go away, but usually not.

How do you fix this reliably? (Note: on the DG-255 there is no felt under-layer to the tailpiece.)

Comments

• MontereyJacquesMontereyJacques ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011 Posts: 81
  • chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    If there is a buzzing coming from the tailpiece you can stick a piece of paper or felt or leather... I folded up a piece of an envelope and stuck it between the guitar and the tailpiece... no more buzzing and none since.
    Try it.
    Charlie
    charlie
    Hi mates,

Can I revive this thread?!
    I just bought a Cigano GJ-10 which I'm absolutely satisfied with... except for the tailpiece insert buzz that someties drives me crazy...

Any tips on ways to get rid of that?

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Condomitti.
  • Al WatskyAl Watsky New JerseyVirtuoso
    The insert should be glued.
    Some folks have trouble using glue.
    Tricky stuff.
    I would suggest removing the Tail Piece before gluing if your unsure of the source of the buzz or method of gluing.
    I feel disinclined to give glue advise because of the long list of potential difficulties using the adhesives I or some other professional might /would use.
    If the buzz is from the insert ? Any glue will do. I have a guitar in today that had the insert glued with medium woodworkers crazy glue. Very cleanly done by the builder. A person who didn't know how to go about that could make a real mess if they were inexperienced or careless.
    So ?
    You could use wood workers yellow or white glue. Drop a couple of drops of water in the area of the insert, massage some of your water soluble glue at the edges of the insert add more water to thin the glue , slowly continue till the glue is evenly distributed around the insert. The water will flow the glue around the insert till the glue is exchanged for water . Finally wipe off the excess set aside to let dry.
    Acetone is the thinner for crazy glue, acetone will melt your finish and other stuff as well, plastics and etc. Its also a powerful solvent that you do not want to inhale. So. Wood glue for you DIY guys, It will fill gaps and stop the buzzing. :idea:
    MichaelHorowitz