DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Academy

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited August 2013 in Welcome Posts: 6,153

Comments

• Has anyone here tried this service out? I was pretty impressed with Jimmy Bruno's online jazz instruction and was curious if this was structured in a similar fashion.
    thickpick
  • Subscribed and on brief inspection I'd say this could be a great resource. The quality of Lollo's filmed lessons is superb. The site is run by players and gets to the core of what's needed imho. Lollo will film responses to questions and demonstrate his points. Fapy is also on board now.
    Dennis Chang is the official transcriber.

It will be interesting to see how it develops and whether the current high standard can be maintained but on current form, speaking purely as a customer, it represents a good investment.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    What the level of the lessons so far? Beginner to advanced? Gadjo beginner? Gypsy advanced?
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I'd like to join this or maybe the stochelo academy. not really sure which would be best. I'd definitely like to see the lessons with fapy though
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hey guys david rattray is the man behind the GJ Academy...

I've been asked to do the transcriptions for the site (I also do transcriptions for Andreas' guitar universe)... that;s as far as my affiliation goes with the site; so here's my unbiased review

The site is still in its infancy stages I think it was launched only 2 weeks ago or so... David is working extremely hard on the website. PErhaps one of the main advantages of the site, is that he's a webdevelopper by profession and also a great guitarist in his own right... so what does that mean?

1) he knows how everyone feels as a music student and he's very serious about making this work
    2) as the bigboss behind the site, he's very serious about it, and he's constantly working online working on it... so he can be very easily reached..

knowing that it is at its infancy stage, what I believe David (I dont know if he posts here and I'm only assuming here) really wants is for people to interact and directly ask questions to Lollo and eventually Fapy.. He;s also looking for suggestions... so even if you're not a member of the site, you can contact him and tell him what you're looking for, and i'm sure he'll strongly consider your suggestions

There's a feature where you can upload your own videos and receive actual video critique from Lollo and eventually Fapy (or anyone else who wants to chime in)

David has been asking me to transcribe a lot of material for him, so I'm doing that as well.... Maybe you guys can ask him to post one free lesson or something... I just did a waltz transcription that's great for repertoire and technique...
    Thanks Denis,

I think that having Lollo and Fapy (coming soon) give feedback on your progress is a critical difference between our site and other online academies and as you said ours is run by players and teachers who are striving for excellence. As you know, Lollo has filmed a number of clips in his home studio in direct response to requests from our subscribers!

As Michael Horowitz said in another post...(sorry to paraphrase)... but students today are fortunate to have access to films, books, DVDs and online video courses...these did not exist when I was trying to learn this challenging style. We are committed to creating the best site we can and we are pleased that Stochelo's academy is going to be launched too, however, I am not sure if he is going to be involved in the day to day running of his.

We are genuinely interested in hearing all your suggestions about the academy, for instance we shoot with Fapy Lafertin next month and we would like to hear what aspects of his style people want to see.

Please feel free to contact us. Oh, I am arranging to give a special free sample lesson, transcription and MP3 to Djangobooks subsribers soon.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Keep me posted on that free sample, Dave. I've been contemplating these 2 Academies.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • Not sure if anyone saw the two freebies that were passed along this weekend.

Dave passed along a Denis transcription of Lollo played "Minor Swing" and an transcription/analysis/lesson of a Lollo Rhythm Changes based tune. The lesson portion included four lines that are usable over any Rhythm Changes "A" section.

I found both to be high quality and very useful. If this is representative of the rest of the material on the site, I'm almost sold.
    Here is a link to the lesson on Lollo's playing over Step Swing.

As you said, Denis has transcribed and analysed some great phrases from Meier's playing that can be transposed and added to your repertoire.

http://www.gypsyjazzacademy.com/step-sw ... enis-chang

We are working on a special lesson for all Djangobooks fans! Hopefully will have this available soon.

Dave
  • Fapy has landed!

Here is a brief excerpt from one of Fapy's lessons on improvisation and building a solo. We have lots of new lessons and performances from the master filmed in HD during a recent trip to Holland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAvKQqqInVI

Enjoy!