DjangoBooks.com

FS: 2009 Gallato Angelo Debarre SOLD

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited October 2010 in Classifieds Posts: 1,665
Hi everyone -

I'm offering up for sale a very nice Gallato RS1939 Angelo Debarre signature model oval hole guitar with hardshell case. The guitar is in like new condition, with very little playing time and almost blemish-free. I need to clear out some space in my small music room. $1150.

This model is a reproduction of Serge Gallato's 1939 Selmer. It is a standard long scale oval hole with Indian rosewood back (it appears to be a 3 piece back), mahogany neck, aged tailpiece and tuners. The neck is of 3 piece construction, with the cool headstock joint a la Selmer. Neck profile is fairly meaty, somewhat squarish but quite comfortable.

The sound is very dry and biting. The guitar sounds very good now and will only improve as it opens up with more playing. It's not a Dupont, but then it doesn't cost anything near what a Dupont does.

I find the action as currently set up to be a bit low, due largely to my hard picking attack. It is pretty good now, but I found that it needed a bit of shimming during the dry season. The guitar would benefit from a slightly higher bridge, a Dupont #1 or equivalent should do the trick. There is a Dell'Arte #1 ebony bridge blank in the case. I ordered this, only to find that their blanks are not contoured for bass vs. treble sides, they expect you to do that. Being rather lazy, I did not undertake this task, but the bridge is in there if you want to use it.

It's currently strung with Argentine 11s. If you like 11s, I'll throw in an extra set. If not, I'll toss a set of 10s in the case.

Photos will follow in a couple of days. Buyer is of course responsible for shipping and customs/taxes (if any).
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• SteveGSteveG ✭✭
    I'd like to buy this guitar from you.

I'm in Canada too, so if we can figure out shipping costs etc., I'll tentatively take it. Let's talk via PM to iron out the details. Steve
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Thanks, Steve. I sent you an e-mail.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    The guitar has been sold. Thanks, Steve.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles