DjangoBooks.com

question about breaking your fingers

edited December 2010 in Welcome Posts: 83
Hi all,

My worst nightmare came true.I broke the tip of my ring finger yesterday during some construction work in Portugal.
Went to a hillbilly hospital here.7 stiches and it will take a month to heal.
Doctor said I will still be able to play guitar but he is a doctor and not a guitarist.I remember my dad once broke his elbow and that still effected his career as a violin player.

Do any of you got some feedback about this?
I was so scared all night.Music is my life.

Comments

• HarryRHarryR ✭✭
    Imagine how Django felt after the fire. Music comes from inside, not the fingers. I'm sure you will still be able to play, even if it takes extra effort to get it back, Harry
    hi harry,
    i can´t imagine how django felt.
    yeah music comes from inside or outer space..i dunno but i just wanna play with my 5 fingers.i´ve seen guys play with their feet.
    just wanna know if anybody ever broke their fingers and if that made their playing impossible at some points.
    my dad still performed all over the world but was upset with his elbow..had to take painkillers etc which got him addicted at one point.
    anybody broke their fingers?Can you feel it when you press on the neck even after a year?
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Well, I was about 14 playing football, and broke my middle finger on my left hand (fretting hand), no stiches, but a painful break. I spent about 6 weeks with that finger in a form-like steel bandage. I came through it and played both football, and guitar again. Maybe a little more mindful of the finger, and occasional pain, but nothing more than just learning to deal with it. I've had other injuries to my other hand, as well, but came through those with lingering pain, every now and then, but nothing that has stopped me from playing.

Now, I don't know what age you are - but sometimes the younger you are, the easier it is to bounce back from such injuries. As I am 58, and lost about 95% of my hearing 10 years ago, I thought I would never play again. Thanks to modern technology and my audiologists, I have some very powerful hearing aids that gave me the confidence to pick up my guitar and start again. I have some RSI pain, but I'm learning to deal with that bit as well.

My point is that no one can tell you 'Yeah, don't worry about it!" or "Gee, you'll feel this the rest of your days." No one but you can feel your pain. Take a cue from your father, he continued to play, and yes, if things could be avoided like this accident, it would possibly be better. However, life is full of those kinds of unexpected events. You learn to do what you heart tells you to do despite whatever pain or obstacles come your way. Our responses to pain vary, some need or think they need painkillers, others find a way to avoid taking anything, and learn to cope. None of us are beyond either choice, but it is a choice.

I'd say it's obviously going to change some things, but if you want to continue, it won't stand in your way, unless you let it. Above all, let nature take its' course in healing, and go from there. Play with whatever fingers you have - that's what Django did. Wishing you a speedy recover, and all the best!
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Hey Emilio,

I have been involved in sports injuries for many years and in the case of broken fingers age can play a major factor. If it was a clean break then odds are you will be fine as long as you rest up-Imobolizing the area is essential in order to make sure the finger regains its original intergrity( 2 months is a ball park figure on healing time). After this strengthen the finger up by gently squeezing a squash ball.
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
    thank you so much jazzdawg and rimm!!

I'm 38 and never broke a bone in my life.
    The fleshwound looked horrible..looked like i lost the whole tip of my finger..i freaked out.
    Your feedback calmed me down a bit.Thanks alot guys.
    I hope it heals well.
    Can´t play for a month and that makes me crazy too.
    Being helped by foreign doctors who doesn´t speak english made me tense too.
    Hope it´s all good.My problem seems minor when i read your reply jazzdawg.
    Thanks again.
    Best wishes,emile
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    hey, emilio, i´m very sorry to know about your injury. i sincerely hope you get well soon (even if only to play together with you some day...). i´m 34 and 1.5 years ago i almost broke my right wrist on a fall and to this day it still hurts when i play for more than only a short time and my agility is still kind of impaired, but that hasn´t stopped me from playing... (or trying to, viewpoints differ on this one :oops: ).

my only advice would be to take some time to recover, if you try to play too soon it can do you more harm than good.

anyway, hope you get well soon. all the best!

abraço,
    Miguel.
    Obrigado Miguel!
    I have a friend in Porto who is in the arts and I will visit Porto often in the future.
    When my hand is better maybe we can hook up and jam.
    Saúde,Emile
  • noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    shure, feel free to PM me when you come, if only to chit-chat. maybe i can give you a guided tour, if you´re interested.
    as melhoras,
    Miguel.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    I almost lost part of my left little finger a few years back in a kitchen accident. I can use it again, but even today it still stings when I play a lot. Nerve endings heal very slowly.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
    noodlenot wrote:
    shure, feel free to PM me when you come, if only to chit-chat. maybe i can give you a guided tour, if you´re interested.
    as melhoras,
    Miguel.

Looking forward to that.
    Thanks Miguel!