DjangoBooks.com

DJANGO REINHARDT NYC FESTIVAL THIS WEEK - BIRDLAND

edited November 2010 in North America Posts: 3
DJANGO REINHARDT NY FESTIVAL AT BIRDLAND JAZZ CLUB
NOVEMBER 2-7, 2010

http://WWW.DJANGOBIRDLAND.COM

DJANGO REINHARDT, along with Stephanie Grappelli, formed the Quintet of the Hot Club of France in the 30's in France defining this new style of music known as "Le Hot Jazz" which became very successful. The DJANGO REINHARDT NY FESTIVAL serves to preserve and carry forward Django's legacy.

This year, we celebrate Django's 100th Birthday (2010) and also George Schmitt, patriarch of the Schmitt family who passed away this year. As with 'gypsy' culture, the elder Schmitt, a musician, was teacher, father and grandfather and kept the legacy of Django alive and passed the 'hot jazz' style from one generation to another as well as will be seen with his son Dorado and his grandsons, Samson and Amati.

NOV. 2 BORISLAV STRULEV cello
NOV. 3 ANAT COHEN sax/clarinet
NOV. 4 MIGUEL ZENON sax
NOV. 5 EDMAR CASTANEDA jazz harp
NOV. 6 DAVID LANGLOIS washboards/percussion
NOV. 7 JOEL FRAHM sax

For CD or Festival information, see attached flyer and/or contact Strata/Philips Productions at (212) 744-8836.

Comments

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Bueno!!!
    HCQ
  • GuillaumeGuillaume New York, NYNew
    I went to the Nov 3rd 11pm show and was blown away! Dorado's playing was exquisite. It seemed to me he was using some restraint, not pulling all the flashy licks, yet he played with great finesse and nuance. Then, halfway through the show he put his guitar down and picked up a violin. This is surely common knowledge on this forum, but I had no idea Dorado was such an accomplished violin player. His violin playing was amazing, powerful and gorgeous at the same time... Samson pretty much stuck to rhythm all night with great drive and inventiveness. The rest of the band was solid - a special mention to the bass player who pulled off some fine solos. Pierre Blanchard's violin playing was fantastic, as usual (with a much stronger tzigane and almost arabic influences, in my opinion, than traditional Grapelli-style players). Amati came out for a couple of tunes and, while clearly a little uncomfortable on stage (I think he is 15...), showed his potential and played beautifully. The guest that evening was Anat Cohen, a NY based clarinet and sax player who played in a very idiosynchratic style, while moving her body to the music. The band seemed to respond to her as the set reached new heights of intensity with her on stage. The show ended with a fantastic Dorado/Samson violin/guitar duet, playing some traditional gypsy song that I could not recognize, yet provided another high in virtuosity.
    I chatted briefly with Dorado and Samson after the show and I was amazed at how approachable and humble they were, clearly grateful to anyone who appreciates their music. They also pointed out that they play Belleville guitars (rebranded Manouche) while in NY, which of course sounded fantastic in their hands.

A great night of music.

Guillaume
  • patrus le sommelierpatrus le sommelier ✭✭✭✭
    I did some video interview in Birdland, have a 1st look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpaSwzR4s9w