DjangoBooks.com

FS: Hodson Djangolin - SOLD!

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited December 2010 in Classifieds Posts: 1,665
For sale, a "Djangolin" gypsy mandolin built by the late David Hodson of the UK. The instrument is in excellent condition and comes with a very nice TKL tweed case. It's currently strung with jazz mando flatwounds, with an extra set included, plus a couple of Golden Gate mando picks and a leather strap. $750.00 plus shipping, or best reasonable offer.

This is one of David's early Djangolins, with mahogany back and sides and solid headstock. Later versions were rosewood and had slotted headstocks.

It has a sweeter sound than the standard F model but still considerable volume. Very light in weight, with no issues that I am aware of.

I'm selling it because I've never really taken the time to learn to play it. Gypsy guitar takes up all of my practice time, so it should go to someone who will use it.

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• brooksbebrooksbe Maryland
    I am interested.
    Do you have any recordings of how it sounds?
    -Ben Brooks
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Here are a couple of short clips from our CDs, the Love Theme from the Godfather and C'est Si Bon.

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Sounds pretty good.
    Is it an arch top?

You said that you were more of a guitar player but do you know how the neck measures up in thickness compared to a weber (thin) or an old a-style gibson (thick).
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    brooksbe wrote:
    Sounds pretty good.
    Is it an arch top?
    No, the top and back are both flat. The top may have sunk a tiny bit, but it doesn't seem to affect playability, and there are no cracks.
    brooksbe wrote:
    You said that you were more of a guitar player but do you know how the neck measures up in thickness compared to a weber (thin) or an old a-style gibson (thick).
    I've never held a Weber in my hands, and the last time I had an A model was thirty years ago, so my recollection is not very good. The nut width is 1 1/4" (technically it's not a nut, since there's a zero fret). The neck itself is somewhat squarish, more like a Selmer neck than a typical mando. David seemed to be intent on making it like a tiny Selmer-style guitar. The depth of the neck is 1" (measured from the top of the strings at the 1st fret, which is the only way I can get a micrometer on it without taking the strings off). Hope this helps.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    The new price works for me!
    Let me know what I need to do.
    Cheers,
    Ben Brooks
    E-mail is on the way. Thanks, Ben!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • JayDJayD New
    - Klaatu
    I have a Hodson Djangolin I bought several years ago but it didn't come with a case. That TKL case in your photos looks like a good answer. I haven't been able to find one of those on the web. Would you be able to tell me where you got it or did it come with the Djangolin when you bought it? Thanks
    The case came with the Djangolin. I'm afraid I can't tell you where it came from originally. It looks like it might have been made for something like an A model Gibson. An F model would not fit. Sorry I can't tell you any more than that.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
    BTW, I did at one time have an F model mando (cheap Asian one) in a very nice well padded tweed gig bag. You might check into that as well, unless you really want a hard case. Don't recall the brand, but it should not be hard to find one.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • JayDJayD New
    Ben-
    Thanks a lot for the reply. Much appreciated. The gig bag may be the way to go for this one.