DjangoBooks.com

Django's "Hungaria" for Christmas

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited March 2011 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 1,854
Merry Christmas to all my GJ buddies... with special good wishes to my regular correspondants BluesBop Harry of Mexico City and Jazzaferri of Victoria BC.

You two guys have done so much to help me in my journey from "spectacularly incompetent GJ guitarist" to "mediocre GJ guitarist"! ---but, hey, if I keep practising, someday I may make it to "adequate GJ guitarist" assuming I live at least three times as long as Django did, and that my wife doesn't kill me with a kitchen knife when I play the same lick over and over and over and over....

Anyway, Django... he sends his Christmas wishes, too.

He appeared in a dream last night and told me that he wants all you guys to learn all his cool licks from "Hungaria" for Christmas.

And then he very thoughtfully broke his 32-bar chorus into short passages which, if you ask him nicely, he'll loop over and over (Command-L) and slow down to half speed (Command-K)...

Then I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight, "How hard can it be, gadjos? You can play this stuff with two fingers!"

Will
Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Great idea. Thanks Santadjango!
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Great idea. Thanks Santadjango!
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Django recorded more substantial solos on the song Hungaria than any other song IMHO. There might be 5 different versions of Minor Swing, but he recorded at least 6 versions of Hungaria. There is a rich playground of material available for mimicing Django on this song.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2010 Posts: 1,854
    Great, djangology; why don't you share one of those versions with us? And if by chance you could break it into little patterns to make learning easier, like I did, that would be wonderful.

You may have noticed that I've shared several pieces like this one over the past year, but nobody else has ever reciprocated...

Still, I live in hope.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Here's what I figure for D part one:

--15----11-----14-----12-------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------15----12-------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------12-----------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------14---13---------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

..and D part two

-15---13--------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------16---13--------------------13---16-----------12---------
    ----------------------13---------13-----------------------------------
    ----------------------------15----------------------12----------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

...sheer fucking genius, that's all I can say!

And yes, this can be played with just two fingers, go ahead and try it!

edited December 2010 Posts: 1,854
    That G part has a lot of notes, so I broke it down further into three parts (attachments)

Try these fingerings:

G1

--15---14---13---12---------------------------------------12---------
    -------------------------14----11----------11------14-----------------
    --------------------------------------12--------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

G2

-15---14----13----12----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------13----12------15----------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

G3

----------------------------14----12--------------12-------12
    --------------------------------------------14------------------

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Hey buddy, nice work!
    Merry Christmas to you too!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    That's great! I have the recording but how do you make those little mp3 clips?

thanks
    Oh, what the hell, let's try and tab the whole thing out for posterity... Please let me know if you find any mistakes and I'll go back and edit them...let's hope the formatting doesn't get all screwed up...

Merry Christmas! Joyeux Noel! Feliz Navidad!

Will

PS Bones, I make the little clips with GarageBand, a program that came free with my Mac... I imagine the same thing could be done with many other similar programs...

A
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---(12)---14-----12------13------15------13--------12---13---14---

----------------12---------15----13-----12--------------13------------
    --11----12---------------------------------------------------------------

B

--10---12---10--------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------13----11----12--------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------12---------------------------------------12-----12----12
    ---------------12---------12----------------------------12--------------------
    -11-----14--------------------14-------11-----14-------------------------

C

-12----13----14------15------14------13--------12--------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -12----------------------------------------------------------------15---13---12
    -------14---13---12---11---(B)13---14----13----12---------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------14--12-------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D part one:

--15----11-----14-----12-------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------15----12-------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------12-----------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------14---13---------

D part two

-15---13--------------------------------------------------------------
    -----------16---13--------------------13---16-----------12---------
    ----------------------13---------13-----------------------------------
    ----------------------------15----------------------12----------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

E
    ---------------14---12----------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------15----12--------------------------13---------12------
    -11---12-----------------------------12---------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------14---13---12-------12------

F

---------------------------13------12-------------------------------------------
    ----------12------15------------------------------------------------------------
    --13--------------------------------------------------------------------------

--7----10-----8----------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------10------------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------9-----------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------10---9-----8----------------------------

----------------------------------8----11-----10------------------
    --------------------------8------------------------------------------
    ------------------8---------------------------------------------------
    --7-----10-----------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

G part 1

--15---14---13---12-----------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------14----11----------11------14--------------------
    --------------------------------------12-------------------------------------

G part 2

----------------------------13----12------15----------------

G part 3

----------------------------14----12--------------12----12
    --------------------------------------------14------------------

• :D Merry Christmas to you LJ.

Hungaria is one of my fave's of Django's tunes. I'm up to my ears in Jazz theory and 2 exams (working on my Jazz Diploma) but I will look at your stuff after christmas.

Something that I either read or someone told me was that when Django played he often went up and down the neck with his lines rather than across the strings.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed