DjangoBooks.com

regular alternate picking on gypsy guitar- youtube

rafapakrafapak ✭✭
edited January 2011 in Technique Posts: 218
HI guys

I wonder if you have ever come across any clips on youtube where somebody does regular alternate picking on gypsy guitar. If yes, can you give me a link? well, I am asking out of curiosity because I have never seen anybody doing alternate picking on gypsy guitar.

regards
rafal

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    this guy who happens to be one of the best out there used to play with the gypsy technique but now uses alternate and sweep :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJQ5u3TvT0
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    dennis wrote:
    this guy who happens to be one of the best out there used to play with the gypsy technique but now uses alternate and sweep :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJQ5u3TvT0
    thanks Dennis!

I have one more question in relation to gypsy picking. Let's say that you ended a pharase on E1 string with a down stroke. You want to begin next phrase on H2 string. According to the rules of gypsy picking you can't attack H2 string with an upstroke . It is weird because your right hand has to do two moves. After down picking on E1 string your pick goes up in the area of H2 string and next attacks H2 string with a downstroke. Well, as far as physics is concerned, this can not be made fast. Downstroke on E1+ going back upwards towards H2+ downstroke on H2. Probably it is not speed what matters here. Do you know any sites where there is a diagram how they pick when they go from E1 string up to lower strings like H2, G3 etc?
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    This guy plays alternate (except for the aug sweep):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPI6ggAuzT8
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    rafapak wrote:

I have one more question in relation to gypsy picking. Let's say that you ended a pharase on E1 string with a down stroke. You want to begin next phrase on H2 string. According to the rules of gypsy picking you can't attack H2 string with an upstroke . It is weird because your right hand has to do two moves. After down picking on E1 string your pick goes up in the area of H2 string and next attacks H2 string with a downstroke. Well, as far as physics is concerned, this can not be made fast. Downstroke on E1+ going back upwards towards H2+ downstroke on H2. Probably it is not speed what matters here. Do you know any sites where there is a diagram how they pick when they go from E1 string up to lower strings like H2, G3 etc?
    One thing you have to realize is that the angle of the pick is different than most alternate styles. Your pick goes into the guitar towards the top on a downstroke and up into the air for an upstroke.
    So going from the high E to B if you tried to play an upstroke you'd miss the B string completely, unless you change the pick angle which you shouldn't do when gypsy picking. It's kind of hard to put into words but it can be very fast(Just check out Jimmy Rosenberg!) and you get a lot of tone and volume in exchange for very little muscle effort.
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    thanks for info!