DjangoBooks.com

Paul Mehling and my new 'thang'

edited February 2011 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 2
Hi everyone, this is my first post - just joined.

A couple of weeks ago I went to see The Hot Club of San Francisco play in Kansas City with Paul Mehling on lead. What a great show! 5-piece ensemble, including violin, all played as soundtrack to 4 silent movies of the early 20th century. This was my first exposure to live gypsy jazz - absolutely loved it. I'd recommend seeing this if it passes through your local area, the band sounded really tight and the show featured many traditional Django tunes as well as a surprising and fun sing-song 'All of Me'. Plus the movies make it all a wonderful traditional jazz experience.

I met Paul after the show, got his Lesson 1 Rhythm DVD, got a copy of Michael's Gypsy Picking book, and I'm diligently playing my first forays into the gypsy jazz style on an old classical guitar (which I've played for about 20 years) meanwhile I get my hands on a Cigano. Fun Fun Fun.

I was truly inspired by the show. Exactly a year ago I saw Bela Fleck tour with his African project the same month I got my first ever banjo. Still playing it today, so I'm hoping to gain some good momentum for this new love of picking all over again. And again . . .

Comments

Wow! What an evening!

Welcome aboard. I see you're new.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    I keep re-borrowing Paul's DVD on Rhythm from the local library. Have found it very helpful. Welcome aboard. You'll have fun exploring this music.
    Swang on,