DjangoBooks.com

question on picks

judsonjudson New
edited March 2012 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 25
I've been reading several topics here on Gyps picks and Django's pick. I find my favorites are fat stubby, little thick, dunlop purple teardrop picks that are worn down by a lot of playing. I've heard a lot of old timers say that turtle shell or bull horn picks were better. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I see that Django Books is now selling bull horn picks that look very similar to the plastic ones I use - are they better?

Comments

• fusejazfusejaz Redmond, WANew
    I am pretty new to this style and have tried and regularly use a 3mm Dunlop Big Stubby and 2mm Dunlop Gator Grip.
    They both seem to suit me well and I like them better than the Fender Heavy I am used to using for rock and blues. But somehow sound and power-wise I find the picks I am fashioning out of large horn buttons purchased at a Jo-Ann Fabric store for about $2 each to be the biggest sound. I don't know what type of horn they are. They are shaped like a fish and have a "scale pattern" and even an inlaid white eye. I have had good success with one that is about 4-5mm thick. It took considerable effort to get it working well and I had to saw off the cute tail :) but after finally getting a smooth sanded finish on it I have almost no pick noise when playing single note lines..which I prefer. It is strikingly a fine and different sound and tone compared to the other "synthetic" picks I am using. I am in the process of trying to make another one right now out of a different button and it looks promising as well. So if you don't want to spend big bucks for boutique picks this may get you close..altho I have not tried a Wegen etc.. so it may not even be close to that sound... but for me it is a very good sound.
    See what I am up to at: http://myjazzjourney.tumblr.com/
  • judsonjudson New
    That is very cool! I love it when people truly make music their own by making their own instruments and accessories. I've often considered making my own copy of the old Mosrite guitar and mandolin combination that Joe Maphis played.... I think I'd be better advised to start by making a pick!
  • I like to play very much with big stubby, dunlop tortex and ibanez cesareo picks.

35077_l.jpg

49721772-149x149-0-0_Ibanez+Ibanez+BPA16HR+Pick+Set.jpg

tortexheavy.jpg

I never tried, unfortunately, to play with special manouche picks, but I think the important is to pick correctly, to give the Gypsy sound!
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Wegen 5mm Button 8)
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Tried Wegen (too brite), Red Bear (better than real tortoise), Real Tortoise (too brite and clacky for me), Tortex (too thin), Dawg (really nice) and V Picks. Current favourite is the V Pick, 2.75 mm Rounded Medium in glow in the dark Green and MOT (Pearly Gates model). Great tone, they are smooth with a rounded edge and slide off the strings nicely, yet stick to your fingers somehow for a good grip. I think Michael has 'em.
    Swang on,
    Steveareno wrote:
    Current favourite is the V Pick, 2.75 mm Rounded Medium in glow in the dark Green and MOT (Pearly Gates model),

That is the mother of all pick titles! :shock: :lol:
    Admirer: Wow Steve, you killed it tonight. I'm curious what kind of pick do you use.
    Steveareno: V Picks, the 2.75 rounded medium G.I.T.D.G.M.O.T.P.G. model

In all seriousness Steve, you should leave a review here if Michael sells this pick. I tried to look but got lost in all of the similar images and types.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    MOT= Mother of Toilet Seat (pearloid)...not Ministry of Transport. The Glow in the Dark Green, really does glow in the dark. Hope it's not radioactive! V Picks started out with a limited number of shapes, all clear and pointy. Now they have quite a selection of colors and thickness. Check their website.
    Swang on,
    My god, that's why I couldn't find it. :lol:
  • KarsenKarsen
    i would say get a 3mm wooden ebony pick or probably the most popular ive seen is red bear trading.

check this place out good prices for unique picks.
    http://www.childsguitars.com/magicguitarpicks.html
  • Best pick I have found is a blue chip. I use a custom large jazz with a TriTip style tip. So quiet and slick off the strings. Great tone
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed