DjangoBooks.com

easy gypsy jazz standards, suitable for covering

rafapakrafapak ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 218
hi guys

lets say that one is intermediate level guitar player and has a friend who is at the same level. They both want to play together easy covers of gypsy jazz standards. Can you guys recommend few gypsy jazz songs that can be covered by two intermediate guitar players assuming that one is playing chords and the other one is playing melody and does soloing. Please, help me in this matter. I know already few titles but don't know it they are relatively easy for playing or not.

regards
rafal

Comments

• matty42matty42 tyrone, pa✭✭✭
    There is deinitely an overwhelming amount of songs! But in my humble opinion I would say some good songs are, "All of Me", "After You've Gone", "I'll See You in my Dreams", "Minor Blues", and of course "Minor Swing" (even though its the "Stairway" of gypsy jazz... sorry!). Also, if you are looking for material, the Robin Nolan books are really good.
    I've always found minor tunes easier to play, so might be worth having a few simple ones in there like:

Anniversary song (aka Danube)
    Dark Eyes
    Si tu Savais
    Sunny
    Songe D'automne
    Minor Blues (AKA Blues en Mineur) - speed up and play Swing 48 at the end with the same chords
    Bernie's Tune (look up the art pepper + eleven recording of this, awesome!)

Some Major ones in G as well maybe like:

Dinah
    Lady be Good
    Stomping at Decca - you can pinch lines for the B section from Sweet Georgia Brown, or any rhythm changes based tune.
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭
    thanks guys for reply!
  • zeddyfreezeddyfree The Netherlands, near UtrechtNew
    Also do check this http://www.grilles-manouches.net/ site.
    Their playing might be lacking in some respects, but I often use the site to see what songs I like and as an easy way to learn the chords. Start there!

Good luck!
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    zeddyfree wrote:
    Also do check this http://www.grilles-manouches.net/ site.
    Their playing might be lacking in some respects, but I often use the site to see what songs I like and as an easy way to learn the chords. Start there!

Good luck!

I had never seen this site before so thanks for the reference.

While they may not be the absolute best players in the world, i was wondering what motivated the need to qualify their playing ability? I thought they were pretty good actually, at least the lead player. The rhythm guy was certainly adequate. I'd like to be half as good as them.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Whatever their playing ability, these guys should be congratulated for providing a great resource for the rest of us. They provide good arrangements, chord sheets and useful, good quality playalongs - all for free. We can't all be Stochelos but these guys are at least offering something which might help and encourage practising newbies to move up a level.

Alan
    always learning
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    Whatever their playing ability, these guys should be congratulated for providing a great resource for the rest of us. They provide good arrangements, chord sheets and useful, good quality playalongs - all for free. We can't all be Stochelos but these guys are at least offering something which might help and encourage practising newbies to move up a level.

Alan

Absolutely agreed.
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭

Alan

agree!
  • rafapakrafapak ✭✭

Alan

agree!
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    croth wrote:

While they may not be the absolute best players in the world, i was wondering what motivated the need to qualify their playing ability? I thought they were pretty good actually, at least the lead player. The rhythm guy was certainly adequate. I'd like to be half as good as them.
    Same here. The lead guy seems to have very solid technique and some nice ideas. So he's not Stochelo - who among us is? I'd be very happy to be as good as he is. They are to be congratulated and thanked for the tremendous effort that went into this.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles