DjangoBooks.com

Brazil Grille?

StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Repertoire Posts: 349
Anyone know of where I can get a Grille for Brazil? Most people seem to do it in G. There's a good arrangement on Wikifonia, but it's a little complicated (I like the traditional GJ grilles). The main vamp at the beginning seems to go: G, Gaug, G6, Gaug, G, which sounds right. There's probably a more simplified way of fingering this, rather than playing the full chords as the tempo is fairly brisk. Anyway, love this song. Django's version is very cool. Apparently one of the last songs he recorded. Sounds like a Stimer. Gotta get a wide collared shirt with ruffled sleeves and a cumberbun...then hook up with Charo. :wink:
Swang on,

Comments

• pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Here ya go. It's in D (blame our singer)...

There is one in G here:

http://emicad.altervista.org/

Which is a good resource for Grilles in general, but, this one, alas is wrong... There's another two bars in it. If you refer to my one (in D), you'll see what i mean.
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    Thanks pinkgary, that's what I was looking for (thought I checked that site...must have overlooked it). Between these, the wikifonia arrangement and the YouTube posts, it should get me in the neighborhood. That signature riff is so cool...and that the walk down. Great tune.
    Swang on,
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Steveareno wrote:
    Gotta get a wide collared shirt with ruffled sleeves and a cumberbun...then hook up with Charo. :wink:
    Swang on,
    Charo???!!! If you're gonna hook up, go for Carmen Miranda!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBA5tnAJDk
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    I forgot fruit-hats were a real thing at one point
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Apologies for the poor image quality, but here is a G key alternative
    http://i.imgur.com/ZCUVs.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/wV9sp.jpg
    Thanks redblue, your chart shows the walkdown from G7, F#7, E7 (F#5???)...that's kind of a signature part of the tune. Klaatu, I'll stick with Charo (she plays pretty good guitar and was married to Xavier Cugat...who helped make this song famous). Carmen Miranda was also pretty hot (love that shot of her doing the twirl with Caeser Romero in the Hollywood Babylon book...talk about natural air conditioning...va va voom). :wink:
    Swang on,
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    @Steveareno
    I think your reading that wrong, the walk down is G7 - F#7 - F7. The next part of the tune is E to Fb5, which is just a regular E moved up one fret. Works well in the samba rhythm gives a darker feel. Alternatively for the same section after the rundown try E7 (7th fret) to F7 (8th fret) to give the section a brighter feel
    Thanks redblues, you're right (got carried away by Charo). I left out the F7. What about the main background riff in G. I repeat G, Gaug, G6, G...but playing full chords is hard to do at tempo (with my slow reflexes). Any shortcuts?
    Swang on,
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    We play it at the pace of Lollo Meier off the Rosas album. I just hold a thumb over G6 for main riff and let the violin do the ornamentation, works fine to my ear anyway, and that's the way its played on the album. You can get more of an inflection sound with your right hand, good tune to work on for rhythm,
    Thanks redblues, I'll experiment with that riff. Try the G, Gug, G6, G thing..it sounds right...just difficult to change the chords so fast. Thanks again Klaatu for the Carmen Miranda YouTube clip. Those guys in the band had killer outfits with that cream National Tenor and big blonde (L5??) archtop....that's what I'm talkin' bout. Great Technicolor stuff! Too bad they don't make movies like that any more. At least there's TCM (nice Maurice Chevalier movie on this morning, set in Paris 1932...didn't see any jazz, but had to leave for work before it finished).
    Swang on,