DjangoBooks.com

Attention Rhythm Players

redbluesredblues ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Welcome Posts: 456
This is the way to do it, RL doesn't miss a beat for the entire tune (read night) RIP

Comments

• seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
    R.L. Burnside is killer. Much like la pompe, his rhythm is not nearly as simple as it seems. My roommate from college has devoted an absurdly large portion of the last few years trying to master the technique. Apparently, there aren't too many people out there trying to learn the technique exactly as it was played, so it's particularly tough to learn. Plus there's no djangobooks equivalent (burnsidebooks?) to bring fans together. Here's his take on the same song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sssgTwEdMg
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    kudos to your mate, that is some hardass shit to master, respect
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing - I had never heard of R.L. Burnside.

I think I'd lose my thumb nail in the first 30 secs of playing this style. :lol:
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    This man is a hero of mine, recorded for Okeh in 1929 with dreams of making it, Wall St. crashed, he went back to share cropping for the next 30 years. Until a musicologist by the name of Hoskins sent a letter to Avalon Mississippi, based on a tune from that session declaring 'Avalon my home town', addressed to a John Hurt. He got invited to NY and the Greenwich scene, became a hero, died a few years later but with a few dollars in his back pocket. Tom Paxton wrote an accolade tune called 'Did you hear John Hurt?', covered by many artists, my favourite Dave van Ronk. This vid ain't his best by any means but he has metronomical timing, and he got better with age.
    Lesson: Don't stop playing you don't know when you may need it, Ala Django vs. The Nazis

Go to 01:48 on the vid, and also check out his 'Candyman'

• redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Magical

• noodlenotnoodlenot ✭✭✭
    that´s just awesome!

thanks for posting.
    what the heck... I had written up a size-able good vibes post to your movies above redblues and see it's not here. :? I very much enjoyed the vids!
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    good vibes post
    Appreciate the vibes man.

Not really rhythm related but i'll sign off with a bit of Lightnin Hopkins, maybe it was the Texas thing but a unique style. Big influence on the playing of Townes van Zandt and Guy Clark and by extension Steve Earle and the next generation Lone Star stars.

Lighting has the voice man 8) - on the rhythm side it sounds like there are 1-2 guys off camera? I want to say I hear a base or it's an acousticy 'bump bump bump bump' that Hopkins doesn't look to be playing.

...or my youtube is a little out of sync.... which never happens... :shock: :lol: