DjangoBooks.com

Breaking in my new DG-300

Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
My new DG-300 arrived last week. Been wanting an upgrade from my 255,and $$ being what they are, the 300 was the logical choice.
This is a beautiful guitar; woodgrain,finish ( which does feel a bit thick),workmanship, all excellent. The neck on this thing is HUGE compared to the 255!! Not in a bad way, just bigger. The bridge is quite taller as well, it's taken a bit of time to get used to the different feel,I must admit. The setup was actually great right out of the carton!! Not a buzz to be found. Comfy action too. The new (to me) bridge height,and neck profile, took a bit longer to get used to than I expected. Thick necks don't scare me a'tall, my Warmoth Tele has a Fatback neck that's an inch thick, and I love it. I've had to re-adjust the ol' muscle memory a wee bit, and reposition my wrist a bit. I did 3-4 hr practice's with it the first 3 days,and my right wrist was aching after day 3!!!
Now I know, breaking in a guitar involves setting it up and playing the bejesus out of it, ( been breaking in new guitars for 25 years...here's to 20 more lol!!) ,which I am,rest assured. My 255 was used and already played somewhat before I got it. I'm just courious, how long it took other 300 owners to break in their's??
I am really loving this guitar though.
Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco

Comments

• HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Ian:

Congratulations on getting your new DG-300. I noticed that after a year and half, that the guitar sounded much more open than when I first received it. Some time ago, I had a conversation with a sales manger from Saga, and he actually asked me if I had noticed that my DG-300 and DG- 250 M had opened up. It was his opinion that it took about a year also.
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Glad to hear it Ian!
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    A year and a half ??? Wow.
    I'm on my 3rd set of strings in 2 1/2 weeks!! Been playing it pretty hard. But it seems that it's the only way to get a good tone out of it...at this time!! The Argies get chewed up really quick, and even the Daddario's (which are twice as tough imoho) barely make it a week; the silver coating never used to wear off, but the torque that I have to put into both hands just kills em'.
    Ok,the break-in time estimate is actually re-assuring. I was worried actually.Truth be told ,it was actually causing me to question wether or not I had any knack for GJ guitar playing!! I had no problems playing the 255, but, having such a hard time with a better quality instrument, made me wonder if I had been kidding myself....WHEW!!! lol
    If it's normal, I think I can cut myself,and the guitar a little slack now.
    Thanks.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    In my experience the DG 300 is a quieter instrument than, say, a 250M but it has got more of a "selmer" tone. Don't expect it to become a cannon even after it breaks up anyway...
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Josh says a new bridge will increase the volume of a stock 300, but I haven't tried that on mine yet
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • HereticHeretic In the Pond✭✭✭
    Ian:

I've done 2 things to my DG-300. I bought a Dupont #2 bridge from this site and carefully fitted it.

Secondly, I took my original Gitane bridge and hollowed out the underside to reduce the mass. If you do this with a Dremmel tool be careful not to carve the actual contact area where it touches the soundboard. You don't want to change the action height or intonation. I hollowed it out to be like the Dupont bridge. I just about doubled the hollow while leaving enough for structural support. This lowered the mass and made it much more lively, brighter and louder.

My own preference is for using the modified Gitane bridge.
  • hotclubdebramptonhotclubdebrampton Brampton, Ontario - Canada✭✭
    Congrats on the JJ!
    I have mine since may 2010 and I think it is sounding louder, richer and wider now. I got it a dell'arte bridge, which definitively helped. Recently, I put a fresh set of argies 11+ a D'addario B string as the high E (.14); i was afraid the thing would pop and take someone's eye with it;but, it actually worked out fine! Someone said that this axe would not be a cannon and he is right...this is a freaking laser ray gun!!!! Seriously, picked hard near the bridge with my wegen fatone will pierce nearby ears !
    Have fun and enjoy ur DG300 :)
    Thanks everyone!!
  • keary18keary18 Jackson, MS✭✭✭✭
    Hi Ian,

can you describe the neck a little more? I have a Dupont but looking for a second guitar for travel, etc. and considering this one or the Wrembel model. you can send an email if you prefer,

thanks!
    David
    <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
    No problem, but bear in mind...I really only have my 255 for comparison, and they are really different necks/guitars.
    Saga describes the neck as "U" shaped, and while not like a Fender No-caster's neck, it is twice the thickness of my 255. Actually, the neck actually looks shorter in playing position, just due to the girth. The fingerboard is thicker as well. I read somewhere that JJ wanted a thicker board to accommodate a Sitmer pickup.
    I will say though, I really don't like the finish on this guitar. It's really,really thick poly. The wood is actually beautiful, all over the guitar. But the finish just feels....icky. I'm hoping this is just where the guitar is brand new, and will feel better with more playing time.
    It's hard to properly review,because it's such a green guitar. It was really tough to play the first few weeks. The guitar is really really tight, and at first, really really hard to get any king of tone out of. My right hand was actually aching after 3 days, I was having to strike the strings with about double the force just to get any kind of sound out of it. I'm sure that once it's broken in, it'll be easier to play. I don't think it's gonna be tough to play at all.