DjangoBooks.com

"Bistro Fado" - sweet new tune from Mr. Wrembel

husyhusy Seattle✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 58
Last night we went to see Woody Allen's new film, Midnight In Paris. It was OK as a movie (I had higher expectations from a Woody Allen movie, and less cheeziness), but what got really stuck in my head was a musette/GJ waltz piece used as the theme for midnight street-strolling scenes.

As I suspected, it turned out to be Stephane Wrembel's work. The tune is titled "Bistro Fado". It's a pretty traditional and mellow waltz piece, but has a subtle originality to it and very sweet sounding at the same time.

Check it out on CDBaby...

I think I'll go home tonight and transcribe it...

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Stephane played it at Django in June. He said Woody Allen wanted a tradttional Parisian waltz for a theme song. If you do tarnscribe it, please share it here. I'd love to try it.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    He's been writing some really cool stuff lately. There's also a new tune he did in studio for a radio station interview in Rochester a few weeks back when they did that festival up there. I guess he hasn't named it yet. It has an underlying tension/release motif that is just stellar. It has a very 1930s speakeasy feel to it. ...not sure how they do it, but some songs like Speevy and Rhythm Future and Supplique ... etc... just have such ambience... and this tune has amazing ambience.

This year has been a really strong year for new creative writing / arranging / recording work. Wonderful times we're living in, musically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJqbln3W_4
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Whoa! That was eally nice
  • HotTinRoofHotTinRoof Florida✭✭✭
    Wonderful playing - inspiring as I work my way through his book.

Bob, that's a lovely instrument Stephane is playing. :wink:
    I got to play it at Django in June, along with Bob's Busato copy that Emmett Mahoney has. Lovely instruments, both!!!

Bob just keeps getting better and better.