DjangoBooks.com

cracks in my new guitar

seeirwinseeirwin ✭✭✭ AJL J'attendrai | AJL Orchestra
Hello all,

After an agonizing wait, I finally received my new guitar that was built by a very well-known and respected builder that is often discussed on this site. The guitar is a favino-sized petite bouche and was bought new from the builder. I have stored it in proper temperature/humidity conditions since it arrived about two months ago, and the weather where I live has been exceedingly stable and mild anyway. About a five weeks after I got the guitar, I noticed that two cracks had developed in the top of the guitar. One is about an inch long, right by the cut away, and the other is about 3 inches long behind it on the lower bout.

Is this normal? I know Favinos get cracks in them, but these happened so fast! I contacted the builder who suggested I take a wait-and-see approach and monitor the size of the cracks before doing something about it. The builder did not express surprise that there were cracks in the guitar. I'm pretty bummed that my brand new guitar is already damaged. Is this something I just need to get over or are there actions I should/need to take?

Thanks!

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    That definitely does not sound 'normal' as long as it has not seen extremes of temperature or humidity.

Contact the builder. They usually guarantee materials and workmanship if that's what caused it.