DjangoBooks.com

Selmer of London guitar

I recently came into possession of a 3/4 size Selmer of London acoustic guitar. The serial number on it is 222. It's in very good condition, except for a some sign of wear around the edges on the back. I don't know much about guitars being a beginner player myself, but a friend said it might be worth quite abit. Just wondering if anyone could tell me how much the guitar may be worth, or if it's worth anything at all?

img0394za.jpg

img0396vi.jpg

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    edited May 2015 Posts: 545
    Some folks on this forum were just talking about this guitar model the other day: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9412
  • williwillwilliwill New
    Mine's different. His has a serial number of 666. Mine's 222. Any thoughts anyway? =)
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    These Selmer London guitars, although impressive that they have survived since the 50's, aren't worth real money. Outsourced production and a brand name. God knows how many serial #666 or #222 or #333 were made. May have value due to vintage, but will not have value due to uniqueness.

Keep buying lottery tickets willwill
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    Mine is #777

I'm afraid Redblues is correct, they aren't worth any real money. Maybe a bit more because of the Selmer name, but not much.
  • bobward47bobward47 New
    The "222" is the model number, NOT the serial number. The Selmer 222 (known as the "Treble-two") was the cheapest guitar in the Selmer guitar catalogue in the early 1960's - the catalogue was drooled over by aspiring teenaged rock 'n' rollers (like myself) and had Hofners, Burns's, Harmonies and even a few Gibsons and Fenders in it (Sunburst Stratocaster for 154 guineas, bright red for 159...).

My Dad bought me a "222" for 6guineas for my 16th birthday - the same week the Beatles' 1st LP came out...

I knew two other boys in my class at school who had "222"'s and my cousin had one. They came with steel strings(!), though I put nylon strings on mine after a couple of years (to try & stop the neck warping). I sold the thing for £5 three years later to a girl at my college.

Basically they were rubbish and we only got them 'cos we couldn't afford anything better. One in good condition might now have some curiousity value, as plenty of people must remember them. I'd put its intrinsic value now at about £15 - maybe double that for its curiousity value, but I'd hardly say it was "collectable". (That said, I have seen someone trying to sell one over the Internet for £450 - to whom I'd just say "good luck"...)

Bob
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    adrian wrote: »
    Some folks on this forum were just talking about this guitar model the other day: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9412&p=48777

Hi @MichaelHorowitz , can you please run a script over the forums to fix up all the broken links left from discussions from the old bbcode pages?

For example Adrian's comment above has a link to

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9412&p=48777]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9412&p=48777

The forum is configured to redirect that link to here:

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/comment/48777#Comment_48777

Which is incorrect. It SHOULD go somewhere more like here:

http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/9412
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Thanks Wim...I fixed that one. The redirect doesn't deal well with a small minority of the links that are in a slightly different format. If you see any others let me know.